Menu

When to move on in math question

Anyone have a kid that seems to struggle then all of a sudden seems to skip half a grade? Jbug, 8, was in the math spiral of death last year so worked we through Ray's this summer/fall and are repeating 2nd grade math this year (with a different program). She's super competitive and memorized the multiplication table on her own because it's the weakness of my 5th grade student. And now she's bored in math. She's doing an excellent job but can't complete a speed drill to save her life (Squirrel!). Yet I'm tempted to move her up into the next level of math... Advice from those who have btdt???

Dont time the speed drills. Accuracy over speed is much better, in my experience. Bored or not, can she pass the final tests in her current level? Does she understand what she is doing? 

She's repeating the same math, of course she's bored.  If the understanding is there, move her up and add review in an amount appropriate for her needs.  Knowing facts is helpful and important, but I am not impressed by speed.  (Disclaimer, I have an advanced student who wouldn't have been able to complete a speed drill for reasons completely unrelated to his math knowledge.  Slow processing speed.)

• Like 2

Yes, I'm pretty sure that it's normal to struggle and then leap ahead.  I remember *distinctly* doing so during grade 3.  I think sometimes the brains just make a maturity leap and then they fully grasp the difficult concept, plus easily assimilate the next few....