Menu

A blessed "Clean Monday" (first day of Lent) to all the Orthodox Christians on the forum

milovany

Sure, happy to .... our priest also calls it "Pure Monday" and it's the beginning of "Clean Week," the first week of Lent. On the day before Lent begins, we have Forgiveness Vespers where we ask each person in attendance for forgiveness (and they us) for any and all offenses given/taken throughout the year (we don't name them, we look at each other and say "Forgive me, a sinner"). The mutual reply "God forgives and I forgive" or "God forgives all" is spoken to everyone.  (If someone wasn't there, and we see them later, we ask then also, if we remember to.)  So for Monday morning and the rest of the week, the first day/week of Eastern Lent, we're thus "clean" of hanging offenses/annoyances.  That way we can go into Lent in this purer state, and we try to start the lenten period off with a "bang" if you will by participating in the practices of Clean Monday -- it's one of our two our strictest fasting days of the year.  Ideally, we try to take no food, just water on this day. But even more importantly, we especially try to be grateful for what the Lord has given us and also to not fuss and fight with folks. It's additional "cleansing" as we start our 49 day Lenten period leading up to Pascha/Easter. We do a lot of this throughout Lent, but give it an extra effort today and for the rest of this week as we begin, so we can get off to a good start.  HTH!

ETA - There can be some cultural variations around the world in the practices of the Orthodox faith.  And for a related example, I just read online, because I was curious about something related to Clean Monday, that Greeks in Greece traditionally have a rousing picnic today! (Using lenten foods.)  :)