Menu

Should I Buy MUS Primer ?

Homeschooling6

My 5.5yr. old is starting Kindergarten tomorrow :D I can't believe it.

I was planning to use a used Calvert K math book that was his older brothers. We never completed it.

Now I'm thinking if I should just go ahead and get the MUS Primer for him. Is Primer worth getting? Would you just use what you have and maybe some online worksheets and start with Alpha next year?

Thanks!

both my kids did Primer and both enjoyed it. It was a nice intro to the MUS program and they were able to move smoothly in Alpha in the beginning b/c they already had the colors/# memorized and a general idea of how much work there was per lesson.

If you are planning on using Alpha and you don't think they are ready for it yet, yes, it's a fun K program and both my kids enjoyed it. It's light, but the perfect intro to Alpha and MUS in general.

We're using Primer for K right now and my son is loving it. A lot of the material so far has been review and/or pretty easy for him and he's zooming through the book, but I like that he's getting a good introduction into formal math. I plan to start my other kids with Primer as well.

ETA: I don't think I've touched the teacher's manual yet, halfway into the book, but my son likes to watch the DVD with me before starting a new lesson.

ETA: I don't think I've touched the teacher's manual yet, halfway into the book, but my son likes to watch the DVD with me before starting a new lesson.

Same here - DD watches the DVD and does the lesson.

She's my special needs child, and i'm hoping to be able to pick up the pace and move to Alpha "soon". I'll know how that is going to go in the next chapter.

Anyway, i've been pleased and would recommend it. I just have to figure out if i'm going to let her little sister do it - or just have her do BJU for now (esteem issues - keeping them separate since she is 5 years older, but they will quickly be on the same level).

SOOOO, i'd go for it! :tongue_smilie: