Menu

Do any of you TOGgers use Teaching the Classics?

Zee

isn't Teaching the Classics a course for the teacher? So, you read/watch it, then implement it with your students? I don't see why you couldn't do that with whatever the lit assignment is for your D students.

Whether it's necessary, I don't know. Is there some reason (I don't have a student this age, I don't know the answer) the dialectic level literature discussions that are outlined in the teacher's notes in TOG would not be enough?

:)

Melissa

If so, I'm wondering how you incorporate it. :confused: I'm thinking of using this to supplement the literature study at the dialectic level.

I have this and its helpful! I needed the help for our classic TOG studies.... Dialect doesn’t have analysis like Rhetoric so I end up doing a lot of it on my own.

This was very helpful... I bought just the book first because of the expense... but at convention last year I bought the dvds.... it was worth it.

It is a resource for me though, not the kids.... it aids me to help them.

HTH~

Yes, it is for the teacher. I'm not sure if the Dialectic level analysis is enough or not. I wish there was a list of what it covers each year. It seems like some of the weeks I've looked at have plenty, but some not enough. That's my view and I may be wrong. I thought about it and I don't want to add another literary analysis program. There just isn't enough time in the day with all the reading and other courses we are doing. My thought is to build on what they have there and supplement it in whatever way I feel necessary. I may ask on the TOG forum if they have a list of things covered, but may not have time to do that for a few days.

Lisa,

Do you just pick some of the questions in the back and orally discuss them, or do you assign some written work based on the questions? I've thought about doing both. I'm not sure if there will be time for much written work. I have the redesign, but some weeks are sequencing or "basic" type activities. I figure those will be the weeks that I want to beef up. There are worksheets in the redesign, but not much as far as a discusssion script - mainly just answers to the questions. I want to bring out the analysis more. At least this is my thought, at this point.

Yes, it is for the teacher. I'm not sure if the Dialectic level analysis is enough or not. I wish there was a list of what it covers each year. It seems like some of the weeks I've looked at have plenty, but some not enough. That's my view and I may be wrong. I thought about it and I don't want to add another literary analysis program. There just isn't enough time in the day with all the reading and other courses we are doing. My thought is to build on what they have there and supplement it in whatever way I feel necessary. I may ask on the TOG forum if they have a list of things covered, but may not have time to do that for a few days.

You are using classic year 3 correct??? I can’t remember..... Classic has none to very little. They have comprehension, but not analysis. I might be confusing you with someone else… and if so, I’m sorry….:(

If we are talking redesign, Im sure its enough....

that I had with my students just last week. (It's on the High School Board, posted early afternoon yesterday). It seems that with every Dialectic book we're able to find a very large number of things to talk about. With both "Adara" and "God King" there was a great deal of historical information that was not fully fleshed out, and we discussed that. We discussed how Adara and Taharka were opposites (she wanted a more exciting life -- Queen Jezebel was her role model for a while -- and he wanted peace with honor).

The ideas come from reading and re-reading the books. Things just jump out at me. I wouldn't be able to do very good discussions if I weren't studying the book beforehand. I go onto Wikipedia and research what is happening historically. It takes a fair amount of time, but we have great discussions!

As I said in my post yesterday, though, we're really talking about the story itself and not literary elements. My Upper Grammar students aren't especially interested at this point in analyzing their stories.

Lisa,

Do you just pick some of the questions in the back and orally discuss them, or do you assign some written work based on the questions? I've thought about doing both. I'm not sure if there will be time for much written work. I have the redesign, but some weeks are sequencing or "basic" type activities. I figure those will be the weeks that I want to beef up. There are worksheets in the redesign, but not much as far as a discusssion script - mainly just answers to the questions. I want to bring out the analysis more. At least this is my thought, at this point.

We must have been posting at the same time.

I really need to sit down and look over the redesign better.....

but.. to answer your question...

I have been using the Socratic list in the back as of date. Simplicity is my middle name these days. This might sound silly... but the literary terms in the appendix....have also become vocabulary......

I do have to work though the list and trailer it, depending on the book but it has been pretty easy. I do have her write out her answers, but I only expect enough at this point to help her pull the information I’m looking for....Next year I hope to kick it up a notch.

Thanks, Rebecca. I'll check the high school board for your post. We just finished Adara, also. :) I read along with ds so that I can discuss the books he is reading. I wouldn't be able to bring much out of them, if I didn't. We had a good discussion about "Adara," and I feel capble with that, but would like to make sure we are learning literary terms and techniques along with our reading.

Hi Lisa,

It's easy to get people confused on these boards! :) I am currently using Redesign Year 1 and will be moving onto 2 in the fall. I thought there would be more in the way of teachers notes or discussion scripts for the Redesign and there isn't for the units I've perused, thus far. Any "teaching" is on the worksheet and the notes have the answers for the worksheet, but nothing additional. (I am talking Dialectic level only - Rhetoric is abundant with notes and discussion scripts).

Hi Lisa,

O.K. so it sounds like you are using the terms in the back of TTC and looking for examples of those in the books you've been reading. You also have found that to be working out. Is that correct?

How many questions do you usually give your daughter to write out?

It sounds like you are doing what I'm envisioning... :)

Hi Lisa,

O.K. so it sounds like you are using the terms in the back of TTC and looking for examples of those in the books you've been reading. You also have found that to be working out. Is that correct?

How many questions do you usually give your daughter to write out?

It sounds like you are doing what I'm envisioning... :)

Zee, I am so sorry I didn’t get back sooner! :eek:

To answer your question... it varies. It depends on the book and if I read it too! But honestly I try to give as much as I can. Some of the questions are just irrelevant....

I do however (when I read the book first) try to engage her to think about some of the terms.... and ask her to look for them. I have only been giving a few at a time.

I find the list helpful but also find myself asking other questions. I just type everything into a word doc and she works from it.

I hope this helped... sorry it took so long... I must have deleted the thread when cleaning out my gmail.