Menu

Do you start Andrew Pudewa in 1st grade?

Mandarinmom

I think you could start listening to the poems in first grade. Little ones that age soak up language, and would memorize those poems lickety-split. However, with very young ones, I would not think of it as a "course." I would simply play the CD during breakfast or lunch.

Oh, wait! My boys are huge, and at their advanced age.... that's still what we do. ;)

You can start it anytime. The CD will help-a lot. We started it this summer with my 4 yo, 8 yo, 13 yo and 17 yo. We loved it!- almost made it through level 1. You can certainly start it in first grade. I'd wait on IEW's writing programs until your student has the mechanics of writing down a bit better-probably third grade or 2nd for an bright go-getter. I love IEW and have used it/taught it/ even sold it for years :) lmk if you have other questions!

Honestly, my K-er has been participating for a year. He just loves poetry and loves reciting it in front of people. Of course, all his life he's been listening to his older sibs memorize and recite poetry. I think 1st grade is a fine time to start. I began when my oldest was in 3rd. Everyone else folded in nicely in K or 1st grade. It really only takes 15 or so minutes a day, so it's easy.

I have not done any how to write poetry studies (she was still struggling to read!) But we do poetry reading several times a week, and usually we select a poem that they like and work on memorizing it by repeating it once or twice every morning. We use a recitation system similar to the Charlotte Mason memory box . Once we have learned several poems, the kids take turns reciting them on different mornings, so we are constantly reviewing them. When I think about poetry in the early years, I look at as an appreciation study, not a mechanics study. Here is a post I wrote in the spring on how we do poetry appreciation in our home.

I really agree with all this. The point with these small ones is not to get them learning the difference between assonance and perfect rhyme, although I have taught mine that in casual conversation; it's fostering a love of learning we have chosen to focus on, which will help them to take joy in the subject and wish to explore more about poetry later as they begin composition.

There are so many things developmentally going on with 1st Graders (character-training for example, learning how to sit still, and especially boys have trouble with motor skills if given too much writing) that I would just not box myself into moving at any particular rate of speed or overwhelm myself with too much of the writing end of IEW. That can put stress on the family as a unit.

But otherwise, either by reading straight from a poetry book (like Favorite Poems Old and New) or beginning the IEW Cd as mentioned above, if it is supporting and promoting your home and your children, I say go for it!

Generally, I think the IEW material is not begun before Grade 3. In First Grade, we have focused more on reading and memorizing poetry and developing a love of learning it. :)

I think OP is talking about Developing Linguistic Patterns through Poetry Memorization, not the IEW writing materials.

The company recommends it for K and up, so I think you could easiy start in first grade. I have found that the earlier dc memorize poetry, the easier it is for them.

I think OP is talking about Developing Linguistic Patterns through Poetry Memorization, not the IEW writing materials.

The company recommends it for K and up, so I think you could easiy start in first grade. I have found that the earlier dc memorize poetry, the easier it is for them.

Oops! My bad. That's what I get for trying to do too many things at once! I'm sorry if I confused rather than supported the situation ...

I tried to find it used, but couldn't so I went ahead and bought it, though some people complained about his voice on the CD. It does not bother me as much as I thought it would (check him out on youTube to see what I mean) - and it was worth it to have all the poems recorded, and not have to do it myself. I think it is worth the purchase if you have it in the budget :) It is really several years worth of poetry, so I look at it as about $20 per year!

At first I found his voice a little strange, but it has grown on me and both of my kids love him. And I started my kids last year for 1st & 2nd.

I write out each poem in a Word doc. and print one for each of them so they can read along as we listen to the CD. Then they each draw a picture on the page when we're done and put it into a 3 ring binder. Think of how fun they're poetry binder will be to look back on when they get older.

We start using the cd in the car last year. We are still on the first one but we are close to being finished. Sometimes we listen to them every day and then sometimes we will go a few weeks without listening to them.

My kids were 7, 5, and 3 when we started. I have been shocked at how well they have learned! My now 4 year old loves to say the poems with her brothers and knows them as well as they do.