Menu

Ancient History Themed Birthday Party???

La Condessa

Something I used to do for our co-op when the kids were younger was to take them on a trip in the "time machine." It was just a pillow fort basically, but sometimes the kids would make wacky panels of buttons and so forth. And while we were all squeezed in it, we'd shake the pillows around and sometimes the time machine would go to the wrong place... Anyway... often I'd give the kids a passport that they had to get stamped at each stop by someone - usually me in a silly hat of some kind. And then we'd get back in and go somewhere else.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea, but probably what I would do is make each kid a little passport booklet that says all the time machine stops. And then at each one do something different from different ancient civilizations. But just something fun and crafty. So, for example, you might do a craft at one, a game at one or two, eat a special food at one or two, and maybe dress up at one? You could do something like stop in ancient Egypt and make simple necklaces with your names in hieroglyphs, stop in ancient Greece and participate in the "olympics," stop in ancient Rome and eat baklava, stop in ancient China and make paper lanterns to decorate for the party, etc. etc. You could have one stop that goes "wrong" - this was always a hit when I was doing the time machine. Like, you're going to go somewhere but instead end up having to build the pyramids or the Great Wall or get chased by barbarian invaders and have to run back to the time machine to get away. After all, traveling through time never goes smoothly...

Sounds like fun!

I'd spend some time on Pinterest. If you focused on a particular part of history, I'd say kids would be familiar with it. For example, ancient Egypt could be fairly well-known. One Pinterest board has links for an Ancient Egypt birthday party (https://www.pinterest.com/jlrancourt/ancient-egypt-birthday-party/), like an archaeological dig in "sand cake." using crushed golden Oreos, mummy activities, decorating Egyptian-style headpieces and necklaces.

Erica in OR