Menu

Grades by year or semester?

I've been going through the sticky at the top and have been able to answer most of my transcript questions, but one. It's probably there and I missed it.

Should I list grades by semester or year?  I have a rough transcript format that I like for record-keeping right now, but I will probably make the youngest's as close to that of his older siblings that graduated from the local high school. It runs in three columns and tiny type, but everything that was listed in the sticky is on there.

They list by semester which makes sense for semester classes or different grades for each semester in a year long class. Can I mix the format to save room or will that be too confusing?  So if in math class he got an A both semesters, the entry is Math  A (1/2)  1.0 with the provider's name.  If he had different grades for each semester, I'd put  Math B (1) 0.5 and Math A (2) 0.5.

I just found our transcript from PAHS from last year and while the students were told mid-year grades, the official transcript only shows an overall grade, so I will need to work with that too.

My older kids' transcripts only gave final year grades. Semester grades were averaged.

I'll put classes in like this (for example)

Intro to Number Theory <grade column> 0.5 cr

Pre-Calculus. <grade column> 1.0 cr

(Hush, I know I'm supposed to be working on the transcript every night this week ;))

My older kids' transcripts only gave final year grades. Semester grades were averaged.

I'll put classes in like this (for example)

Intro to Number Theory <grade column> 0.5 cr

Pre-Calculus. <grade column> 1.0 cr

(Hush, I know I'm supposed to be working on the transcript every night this week ;))

Ah, but I can't average the grades he got from the high school, so I think I would have to list them separately.

I still think the course descriptions are a bugger compared to the transcript. 

Then of course there is the school profile and why we homeschool.

"Well, you see, it all started with a bad elf story that involved an "uglification" gun, a word the teacher thought was genuine and looked up, and the phrase "Holy Mary, Mother of ---!"

Or it might have been the infallible logic of Sailor Dude's argument that "all of the fastest swimmers are homeschooled."

Or perhaps it's just that as a family, we have poor impulse control and thought homeschooling sounded like a good idea. Yeah. That's the ticket.

I mixed.  My classes were just about all 1 credit each, and all the other credits were 0.5 credits.

And my son has gotten into two colleges so far, so it worked!

Good! Then that's what I'll do. I have got to get the two page transcript down to one side only and I am kind of hoping to avoid the public school's three column, 8 pt format that is really hard to read. Two columns with all the other info would be ideal.