Menu

Supplementing MUS

3curlytops

We are working on the Math U See primer.  I like it, and I want to teach math this way, but I'm looking for something else to go with it.  We used Singapore's Earlybirds A, but I didn't love it.  It had entire sections on weight and capacity that we mostly just skipped.  My daughter liked the brightly colored worksheets.  She enjoys worksheets a lot.  I really like self contained stuff, where I don't have to pull together a lot of materials to do a demonstration, which is what the weight/capacity stuff in Earlybirds ended up being.  Any suggestions?  

I haven't used MUS but I have heard good things.  I have heard of people supplementing with Life of Fred, MM and Miquon.  I haven

t used any of those either.  We use Rod and Staff 1.  Some people think it is too dry but personally I love it and I supplement with different manipulatives we have around the house - felt squares, glass gems, 100 charts I have made, also some C-rods and Unifix cubes which were not just laying around the house but I think were well worth the expense.  We are just in K so play and fun is the most important thing for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We use Horizons.  I am planning to have Buddy use MUS Primer next year to help him feel like he's part of 'school'.  As I look at it, though, I'm  noticing it's pretty basic as compared to what I see Missy doing in Horizons Math K right now.  But he's 4 so I'm not wanting to push him anyway... I think it will be a good, gentle, fun introduction to math.  I'm not sure how much it will prepare him for Math K though.  We'll see.

We are currently using MUS Primer and I think we will stick with it until the start of next school year, at which point I want to try Singapore Essentials. I know there is overlap, but I am interested in using Singapore math in the future, so I figured it would be good to switch. I'm also planning to supplement with Life of Fred.

• 3 weeks later...

We really enjoy rightstart. I love how it's scripted :)  The whole level might be a bit much $ for a supplement, but they have some specific kits too, time telling, etc. Or you could just get the abacus and it comes with a pamphlet on different ways to use it. That's what my friends did, just bought the abacus, and it's serving them well. My sister enjoyed the time telling kit a couple years ago (she was 7).

For one...the reason you would have to pull together materials for the weight/capacity demonstrations is because those particular topics are learned best through physical demonstrations...and that requires materials.  

That said...if you intend on using MUS throughout Elementary (which is how I'm interpreting your post), there are some weaknesses in MUS that you will want to supplement.  Primarily, the problem solving instruction.  You could supplement with Singapore's Process Skills in Problem Solving, and Singapore's Challenging Word Problems, for example.  (I like to use both, as one is good for instruction, and the other is good for practice).  

I use MUS with my oldest child, who has some significant LDs.  It's incremental approach works well for her.  It would drive my oldest son batty, however, to be stuck on a specific math topic for an entire book.  Plus, MUS gives a really good math education, but it is basic (so far).  No frills, no extras.