Menu

Getting started with Minecraft

elliotterae

I have already purchased 2 game licenses. I've also played a little on a friend's heavily modified server. However, I have no idea where to start my kids. I see lots of people use it for learning, join homeschool servers, and teach mod design. Does anyone have a site or article they would recommend for figuring out how to start them with this? They are 11 and 9 but haven't had a lot multi player online experience.

Personally, I'd just install the game on your machine at home and let them have at it. They'll figure it out.

I don't think their first Minecraft experiences need to be structured, nor do they need to be multiplayer or on someone else's server. In fact, I think it's best that they just learn to play the game and have fun building on their own, in a local world on their own computer. My kids just enjoyed playing and building for years (we were alpha testers) before we set up our own server or tried using it in a structured educational experience.

Once they enjoy the game, then start looking into the various educational options out there.

I agree. Put it on your computer and let them at it. Isn't that the point of minecraft? Figuring things out?

A creative world is the easiest way to start, because you have all the resources you want and you don't gave to worry about dying. One of mine exclusively plays on creative. My other eventually became interested in a survival game. I don't think a public server would be much fun until they had their footing by themselves, but my kids aren't allowed on public servers at a

L so...I may not know what I'm talking about. :p. Same with mod design. You really need experience playing the game before you can delve into that.

Point them in the direction of official minecraft wiki if they haven't found it already.  My DH and I and all three older kids all play, and that was (and still is) an invaluable resource for learning crafting recipes and finding out what everything does.  If they like a physical book to read the Minecraft Essential Handbook series is a good one.  It really is a "try it out and play around" sort of a game.  I too would recommend playing single player on your own computers (or if you have two computers, you can start a world on one computer and "open to LAN" to get the other local player into the game).  Until you master the basics, it is easy to mess things up in other people's servers if you are not careful.    We found this out the hard way more than once when my boys accidentally blew up someone's house or broke a redstone contraption in the world on our friend's server...then I had to fix it so as not to upset our friends who host the server.  ;-)  (ETA -- They broke complicated things that were beyond their knowledge to fix...especially beyond the ability of DS who just turned 6...he was not quite even 5 when we first started playing, but blowing things up with TNT was one of the first things he learned how to do!  We soon banned him from multiplayer until he learned to be less destructive).