Menu

12th Grade English planning help

I am planning my son's senior year and weighing all our options (dual credit, AP, CLEP, etc.) and would like a little advice for English. Here is what he's done so far:

9th: used MFW US1 which included American Literature through Civil War

10th: used Notgrass Exploring America (with a co-op...so yes a lot of repeat of early American History) and read American Literature from Civil War to present. No lit analysis that year except for a couple Progeny Press Guides and the work that was included in those

11th: using MFW World History and reading British Literature. Some lit analysis included, writing based on the literature read, etc. 

So, he hasn't had much in the way of "formal" lit analysis. Just bits and pieces. He wants to go to college but will very likely be majoring in music. He is a gifted guitarist, can play pretty much any instrument he picks up, plays by ear, etc. He will NOT be pursuing a career that is "English" heavy or requires the knowledge of literary analysis. I am not sure I want him to take English 101 for dual credit at our community college or if I would rather he study to take the CLEP or AP. Any thoughts there? IEW has a few courses to help prepare for the CLEP and AP exams as well as a Literary Analysis Course (Windows on the World). Could I just choose some books for him to read and analyze? I thought about doing that. OR use Progeny Press Guides. OR?????

Anyway, I'd love some guidance on how to design an English course for him for 12th. Oh, he will be continuing to use Analytical Grammar for that part of his English course. Thanks everyone!

I am posting mainly to give you a bump!

I am far from an expert but have been looking at what is being used in various AP Literature classes (google) as a way to determine what I should use. I have looked at many websites and some of the reoccurring books are How to Read a Book by Adler, How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Foster, and Perrine's Literature. One or two of these are combined with reading roughly six full length books in many AP Lit classrooms.

I have an inexpensive copy of Perrine's which is wonderful. The only negative is no answers and I don't think they exist to be purchased. This turns it into a group discussion class for all three of us because ds might as well join in. Still trying to decide if this is our path or not.

FWIW I have used the Excellence in Literature units with dd and she has loved them but she loves literature.

Go with the community college course.

Literary analysis requires certain conventions in writing and it requires an ability to spot literary devices throughout the text. It is certainly possible to learn a big list of terms, but it takes more skill to spot those devices in the text, interpret them, and describe how the use of those devices impact the text. It is far more than reading good literature

With his background, I would say that it would be extremely difficult to prepare for an AP without some more expert instruction in literary analysis.

I am not familiar enough with the CLEP tests to comment. If there is no essay component, he may have a better chance depending on his ability to learn the literary devices well.

A CC class with give you a live teacher who knows literary analysis writing and who can teach how to spot and interpret literary devices.

I chose DE for my guys senior English class and we did it fall semester so colleges could see his grades at the mid year report.

I'm not an English major nor do I have any particular love for the subject and I thought I'd rather they have a class with someone who DID love English in case they found they loved it.

FWIW, what we did at home was more in depth (covered more reading, etc), but I've still no regrets about my decision. They ended up with college As on their transcript.  Oldest's college gave him credit for the course.  Middle's did not.  I was ok with it either way.

I guess I will have to look into whether or not the credit would transfer to the colleges he is researching. Thanks for the opinions. There are other options besides cc for dual credit. He could do it online through Liberty or another college that offers it. I feel certain that would transfer to Valley Forge (where he really wants to go). 

Be sure to research if the CLEPs would be accepted. I have found the English CLEPs to be some of the least accepted CLEPs. On the other hand, I think AP English is at least double the work of a typical CC English class. I do think if you have a good instructor for AP English Comp or Lit, (I highly recommend Maya Inspektor at PA Homeschoolers) that there is a great deal to be gained from those classes. However, if he doesn't need to gain that level of skill, I'd go with the CC class as being the easier route to getting credit and getting done.

For my oldest who will be an English major, we went with AP and it has been a valuable experience. For my youngest who will be a science major, we went with CC English classes, less work for more credit, but with far less learned.