Menu

Latvia?

Closeacademy

I'm sure someone on this board will have information for you! :)

I'm friends with someone my age whose parents emigrated from Latvia to Australia. They (the parents) have kept the Latvian customs for Christmas, etc. (I think they're Lutheran ...), language, food, etc. But sorry, obviously they left in the 1960s or 70s ... :)

Other than that, all I know about Latvia is from Michael Palin's BBC videos of his travels ... you might check out his New Europe series (he visits Latvia). Or Pole to Pole (Estonia). I know that's not what you're asking ... but they're fascinating, fun videos anyway. Hopefully someone will chime in with more advice! I'm jealous -- it sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your daughter.

I'm guessing there is no one on here or who has ever been to Latvia.  That's cool, it's not like most people know about the Baltics.   Just wanted to hear about real life experiences there. 

I have been to Latvia. I was there about 10+ years ago though. They were in the midst of post-Soviet jubilance. They are a very kind, stoic people. I think their national culture is similar to that of Finland but they were much more traumatized by the Soviet occupation. The architecture is beautiful. At the time, I only spoke Russian (had been in Russia) and was there on brief vacation. Notably, they seemed to have all learned English in an extremely short period of time following their independence and insisted on speaking English. It was genuinely impressive--even the old pensioners spoke English. Very, very educated and smart people who make even the most cosmopolitan American feel like a fool. Soviet education combined with an oral tradition forged in an underground resistance as well as a national love of poetry. Really cool people, cool coffeehouses.

I remember it being very quiet--an indoor, Scandinavian/Finnic reserved culture. The architecture had been muted during Soviet times but they took extremely good care of what they had left and for that Riga is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

The weather in June is still cool but refreshing. It's on the sea so it can be windy and chilly. Bring your fleece.

The post-Soviet republics have had real problems with cults since independence. Missionaries are not always welcome. Many people are not religious. They won't be mean, they just aren't receptive in my experience. They are reviving their traditional religion and use it ceremonially. This is my very brief experience. (ETA--I wasn't a missionary in that particular country, but had to deal with cult-fall-out in other parts of the newly independent states (NIS).)

Good luck to your daughter. She has a lot to look forward to.

Thanks, Laura in CA, for the video mentions.  My daughter will love watching them.  She really seems to like the Baltic countries.

Thanks, Binip.  They are going to a Lutheran camp over there to help with their VBS program and English lessons.  It also looks like they will do a bit of touring in the afternoons including a trip to the seaside.  I'm thinking from what I've read and you've just said that she'll need to dress in layers.

Thanks Arctic Mama.  It does sound like an interesting place and the pictures we have seen so far make it look very beautiful.  My daughter is pretty good with languages and plans on learning a few key phrases before she goes. 

I was there about 15 years ago. It was just for a couple of days but I remember it being an absolutely charming country. I was passing through on my way up to Scandinavia from Western Europe. They do you have absolutely beautiful knitted things! Also lots and lots of things made from Amber. I believe, in the summertime, that Amber washes up on the shores of Riga. The people there were very, very friendly. English wasn't that useful there, though most people did speak German or Russian. This could have changed since I was there. I remember feeling pretty safe there, and the streets were very clean, compared to some of the surrounding countries. The architecture there is very very interesting. Also in Estonia, which is another very interesting country.