Menu

Week 5 declutter challenge

MomtoCandJ

I took a look at this week's 52/365 assignments and just need to work on recipes :) I'll do a bit each day. I have a binder w recipes ripped from Cooking Light or printed from various websites (all in plastic sleeves for easy of cleaning!). I need to go through the back half of things we haven't tried or only had once.

I think I can finally go through my mom's recipe box, which has been sitting in a box since we sold their house 2.5 years ago.

I finished last week by cleaning everything off the floor and under the bed in my bedroom. That was a monumental task and I still have two stacks of things that don't have homes, but it is a huge improvement. For the last six months, every time there was a toy my kids were fighting over or something they shouldn't be touching, I have opened the door to my room, thrown the thing in, and then closed the door. Not a great long term plan LOL.

I started this week by getting all of our clothes and linens sorted. I sorted clothes for all 8 kids and myself, and have been prodding my husband to sort out some of his 500 shirts. Sorting the clothes for the kids was an enormous task, but they actually have A) room in their dressers for me to put laundry away and B) only clothes that fit them. I had to keep them distracted to get it done because a couple of them are little hoarders and would keep everything forever if they could. This will make things much easier for my younger kids, because they were frequently dumping entire drawers to find a favorite shirt or pair of pants, then the clean clothes ended up in the laundry hamper too. Laundry for ten people is enough work without rewashing clean clothes!

I will be spending the rest of the week on the hall with our washer and dryer and the storage spaces in that area. If I can get that finished and my documents/schoolwork/craft area under control, my biggest problem areas will all be manageable. Fingers crossed!

I'll still be working on kitchen cabinets & drawers this week in addition to culling cookbooks/recipes. I keep moving some of the frequently used kitchen items, trying to find the best place for them, and it's driving my family nuts! :D

As for decluttering the gifted kitchen items I mentioned in last week's thread, the avocado slicer and table cloth crumb sweeper were donated (along with other stuff). I still can't bring myself to get rid of the chopper or the nut roaster even though I'll never use them. :001_rolleyes: