Menu

Foreign Language Curriculum for Pre-K and Elementary

Homeschoolmom3

Looking for ideas of "curriculum" you have used to help develop learning in a foreign language for a 4 year old or early elementary age.  I am familiar with:  Little Pim videos, Muzzy, Song School Latin.  

Also, what language should I choose?  My oldest takes Latin & German, my middle one studies Latin & Arabic, my little one has tagged along and has memorized some Latin already so should I just do Latin or would it be okay to add another language on top of that one?  Taking advantage of him being a sponge at present.... :)

Thanks for your ideas!

We do Spanish because it's been very useful for our travels. We've used Little Pim when she was very young (1-3 years old), Salsa Spanish (3-4 years old), and Song School Spanish (4 years old). We tried a few other things, but they weren't working for her.

We do spanish...we absolutely love la clase divertida. It's very repatitive, but as a result, my kids master the concept and use them even in play. I researched the options for spanish for early elementary and while I liked one or two others, there didn't appear to be room for advancement and progression. With la clase divertida there are three levels. Since I started my oldest this year (1st grade) I wanted to have several years before we move to another language (probably Latin). Both my 6 yo and my 4 1/2 yr old are mastering the lessons. I also likes that there is culture and geography included as well as a craft and grammar as appropriate.

We do Spanish because it's been very useful for our travels. We've used Little Pim when she was very young (1-3 years old), Salsa Spanish (3-4 years old), and Song School Spanish (4 years old). We tried a few other things, but they weren't working for her.

Looking back on it would you say that using SSS with a four year old was appropriate? I've looked at it on the website, but I don't know if I want to buy it or not.

Looking back on it would you say that using SSS with a four year old was appropriate? I've looked at it on the website, but I don't know if I want to buy it or not.

Yes. But she's also an early reader. If she weren't reading well yet, it probably wouldn't have worked nearly as well. Without reading, you really only have the songs and can't use the workbook at all, which would be fine if you add in other forms of practice on your own.

Thanks Slache for your comment good ideas.

Has anyone done 2 languages at once for that age?

I might combine Latin and German he loves different languages!

We primarily do Spanish, but DH also does French with DD. DD loves language in general and has enjoyed doing both languages. She would also add Arabic if it were up to her, but I think two foreign languages at once are plenty.

French.  I started my 5th grader on Learnables French when he was in 1st grade.  Now the whole family is learning Pimsleur French.  I vote for French, because it is harder than Spanish,  Learning French first will make Spanish very easy to learn later.  My K and 3rd grader are also doing Prima Latina which I love far more than SSL.  My 5th grader does FFL.