Menu

Running Shoes for a 7 year old

Jenn121

Hello,

My DD6 (almost 7) is going to begin a new running club in our area. It is a local mom that loves to run and I am very grateful as I do not run and my DD loves to and is very fast and has great endurance.

My question to the Hive is what shoe do I buy her? I do not want to spend stupid amounts of money but I also don't wan to damage her growing body with cheap shoes. Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have any local running stores or local shoe stores for children?  They can fit a child properly.  We have found New Balance, Saucony, and Brooks for our kids.  I don't feel like there is as much cushioning in the smaller sizes (toddler & preschool) compared to an adult shoe, but I have been very pleased with all 3 of those brands for my 5 & 7 year olds.  At our local store those brands will run $45-$70.

Dick's Sporting Goods also sells a wide variety of shoes. If you are able to shop when a full time worker is there, you will likely find someone who can properly help you with the fitting.  When your child tries on the shoe, make sure it doesn't slip in the heal.  You will want to leave some length in front of the toe so her toes don't rub on the front of their shoe when she runs.  You should watch her walk/run in the shoes from behind.  Her foot should hit in a neutral position, not on the outside or inside of her heal.  Different  models of shoes can cause your foot to roll in or out when you run.  Dick's has great clearance sales on shoes so you may be able to find a deal on last season's model.

My dc used New Balance at that age. Check the NB website before you shop. We found one local NB that only stocked the higher priced models. When kids are outgrowing shoes regularly, it's nice to have a choice. I used to keep track of what last a NB shoe used. It made it much easier to use the website for shopping.