Menu

Great Books Reading Project

I was excited about this project and thought it would be something I'd like to do with Trinqueta until I visited his blog and read his commentary on the Koran. Bummer because this is a very good idea, but that commentary misses the point in such a massive way that I wouldn't feel comfortable having her take him as a voice of any authority whatsoever. If you missed it, here's the link:

http://davidwithun.com/2015/01/page/2/

The obnoxious use of quotes is bad enough, but instead of entering the text on its own terms he dismisses it because it conflicts with his own heritage. That's not a great way to get the most out of the great works. IMO, you need to approach every text that you study with respect for its author and pov. You can decide that you don't agree, but you can't blow it off with shallow insults without considering its merits and why, in fact, it did have a huge impact on civilization.

I hadn't seen that and the truth is I probably wouldn't know how he'd missed the point since I am very unfamiliar with the Koran and hadn't watched that particular video.  However, I do get my hackles up when someone is taking pot-shots at people they don't agree with.  That's just intellectually lazy, IMHO.   Thanks for the heads up on both counts.

I think the thing is that everyone is going to have a POV that *someone* will disagree on.  But, I definitely get what you mean that when you find a flaw in thinking in one area it's hard to trust them in another. BTDT.   I'm excited about the google chat part (which I probably will only listen in on) because then we can hear other POVs on each of these pieces.  It seems that Within's specialty is Western philosophy and thought.

But, you've reminded me, I have a friend who is a scholar in Islamic philosophy. I wonder what he'd make of that particular video you mention.

oops, thanks for the clarification.  Read the review.  Not sure what to make of it, but I didn't like his liberal use of "scare quotes" :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that's not the way for a historian to approach it. I'm taking my historian's craft class this semester and we have to do a book review. I'd see a lot of red markings on my page if I turned it in looking like that. He's inserting too much of his personal bias.