Menu

Help with ALS

Peaceful Isle

I have an aquaintance who was diagnosed with ALS over a year ago. I am not really close to her but would love to get that way. I knew her older sister in college and her dh and my dh know each other from ministry related activities and conferences.

Anyways, She has gone from walking to wheelchair bound in less than a year. She is in her early thirties with a young child.

I think and pray for her all the time and many times break down in tears. I really want to do something nice for her, but don't know what. I don't want to cross any lines and I know she has tons of family and friends that love her. I am sure they are in need of money for her special needs. Her family is across the states from us, very far way.

Anyone know of some one who has ALS who can help me wrap my brain around what I could do for this dear lady? My heart breaks for her.

Just be there and do not treat her different from normal as best you can.  My brother in law died from ALS and it was heartbreaking.  Gift cards for meals, movies and such would be wonderful for her dh.  Going over and just watching a movie with her would mean a lot.  Making a blanket, even one of those fuzzy no sew blankets would be a nice gift.  I am not sure how much mobility she has.  With Dave the ALS prevented him not just from walking but talking and eating.  If she can still eat normally, offering to babysit while they have a night or afternoon out would be great.  It really just depends on how the disease is progressing with her.

Just be there and do not treat her different from normal as best you can. My brother in law died from ALS and it was heartbreaking. Gift cards for meals, movies and such would be wonderful for her dh. Going over and just watching a movie with her would mean a lot. Making a blanket, even one of those fuzzy no sew blankets would be a nice gift. I am not sure how much mobility she has. With Dave the ALS prevented him not just from walking but talking and eating. If she can still eat normally, offering to babysit while they have a night or afternoon out would be great. It really just depends on how the disease is progressing with her.

Thank you for sharing your experience . Hugs