Menu

11th hour Death of a Laptop

AK_Mom4

So.... How do these electronic things KNOW?

Two hours before DD20 was set to get on her red eye flight back to college, her laptop hacks up the Screen of Death. Hard drive failure. And of course, DD never actually backs up her laptop. Sigh.

We put her on the plane :( at midnight and this morning DH and I made the dreaded trip to Best Buy. Found a very nice replacement for $430 (ouch). I now get to spend my weekend setting it up and then will get it shipped to her at school. Major hassle.

I guess DD13 lucks out though because once I replace the hard drive, she will have her own laptop to use instead of having to share mine. We were going to have to get her one in the fall for high school anyway, so this works out ok.

But I would still like to know how the computers know to crash when you really need them!

Won't it be easier for her to buy her own replacement laptop than for you to buy and ship?

Two of our very old laptops finally died as in motherboard and hard disk both died. Luckily nothing important in there.

I need my last laptop to survive efiling our income tax. It's easier efiling on a laptop than a tablet for me.

Won't it be easier for her to buy her own replacement laptop than for you to buy and ship?

Two of our very old laptops finally died as in motherboard and hard disk both died. Luckily nothing important in there.

I need my last laptop to survive efiling our income tax. It's easier efiling on a laptop than a tablet for me.

It would be MUCH easier for her to buy a replacement than for me to ship it.  In fact, I considered just having Best Buy ship it to her since shipping was free.  But then she would be missing all her software and ... more importantly... three years worth of music compositions and recordings, without which apparently she is "just gunna die".

Sigh, I did manage to recover all her music and files, which was over 100gb, from the old laptop.  Perseverance and lots of coffee did the trick.

Sigh, I did manage to recover all her music and files, which was over 100gb, from the old laptop. Perseverance and lots of coffee did the trick.

I totally get it about recovering data. You might want to burn a backup copy into DVD for her before you sent, assuming new laptop has DVD-ROM drive.

She owes you lots of coffee beans :)