Menu

and the glutton for punishment award goes to....

AMJ

Me, right!?!

I have found a very effective spur to encourage my decluttering efforts:  hiring out the installation of new flooring.  Think about it -- in order for the guys doing the installation to actually be able to do their job you have to empty out the rooms.  Ever wonder where all of that stuff will go while they are doing that?

Ever wonder how in the world you managed to acquire So. Much. STUFF?!?

I have spent more than a week carefully packing up the sundry things that 1000 square feet of "living space" can contain so we can store it elsewhere in the house while the new floors go in.  The kids and I will be eating cold food out of the garage fridge for breakfasts and lunches because our kitchen will be filled with the good furniture that we don't dare move to the garage (or that we can no longer get out the door).  Suppers will be eaten out, or at DH's folks' house.

On top of it I came down with yet another round of sinus crud just after we signed the contract, paid the money, and set the date to have the flooring installed.  I am NOT going to reschedule for sneezes, sniffles, and aches.  Not after all of the effort I've already gone through!

On the days I could drive I have made numerous trips to the store for boxes and packing material.  I also took things to the thrift shop on each run, since I decided I am NOT going to pack all of this stuff up.  It's time to get rid of stuff we don't really want.

I'll fess up, though: I did pack some stuff that I'm sure I will declutter after we unpack everything again.  On the days I did that I felt too cruddy to think, so I just packed.

Now we are hemmed in upstairs with all of our sundry downstairs stuff.  The big furniture is awaiting moving to garage or kitchen (smaller pieces we carried upstairs, too).  All we really have to do is unhook the computers and "go dark", and we will be ready for the flooring guys.  We were told it would take 3 days to install, grout, and cure the new floor tiles, though I suspect it might take longer before we can move things back into the rooms.  Once we can, though, we are only moving back in what we need and really want there.  Everything else will either need to be put away someplace else in the house, or it goes away entirely.

A floor that will be easier to keep clean, and less clutter in the rooms:  I'm looking forward to it, but oh my, taking the "easy" option of hiring out the work demands a lot of effort!

:party:

I hear you.

We got a new comforter/bedskirt/curtains combo...  the old stuff looked OK with the 20yo teal carpet. The new stuff makes the carpet look really freaking ugly. We have a small house, and our bedroom is the Place of Final Refuge for stuff that we dump in a box to get it out of the way when company's coming. :glare:  So in the spring, the carpet is going away. But I'll spend the time between now & then (hahahaha yeah right- the weekend before is more like it!) doing exactly what the OP did, without all the hassle of waiting for grout to dry... 

I hear you.

We got a new comforter/bedskirt/curtains combo... the old stuff looked OK with the 20yo teal carpet. The new stuff makes the carpet look really freaking ugly. We have a small house, and our bedroom is the Place of Final Refuge for stuff that we dump in a box to get it out of the way when company's coming. :glare: So in the spring, the carpet is going away. But I'll spend the time between now & then (hahahaha yeah right- the weekend before is more like it!) doing exactly what the OP did, without all the hassle of waiting for grout to dry...

Place of Final Refuge! Love it!

Good luck with the decluttering!

Place of Final Refuge! Love it!

Good luck with the decluttering!

haha thanks...  it's really kind of sad when you realize our bedroom is 12' x 14', and we have a king-size bed. Plus two dressers, cedar chest, nightstands, and a TV... Not much room left for any more junk. I can't wait for it to go. :coolgleamA:

I hear you.

We got a new comforter/bedskirt/curtains combo...  the old stuff looked OK with the 20yo teal carpet. The new stuff makes the carpet look really freaking ugly. We have a small house, and our bedroom is the Place of Final Refuge for stuff that we dump in a box to get it out of the way when company's coming. :glare:  So in the spring, the carpet is going away. But I'll spend the time between now & then (hahahaha yeah right- the weekend before is more like it!) doing exactly what the OP did, without all the hassle of waiting for grout to dry... 

Good luck with that, and I hope you have a lot of fun!

I'VE BEEN VINDICATED!!!!  I WAS RIGHT!!!!  The builders of our house left PILES of dirt on the cement slab under the carpeting and padding.   :cursing:   EVERYWHERE a mystery stain (stain that magically appeared where none was before, usually after carpet cleaning) occurred we found dirt.  No wonder -- any attempts to clean the carpet brought more dirt up from below!

If you EVER have a house built watch the workers like a hawk throughout the process.  And if you ever buy a new house that is already built insist on different carpet and watch them lay it.

HAH!  

I'VE BEEN VINDICATED!!!! I WAS RIGHT!!!! The builders of our house left PILES of dirt on the cement slab under the carpeting and padding. :cursing: EVERYWHERE a mystery stain (stain that magically appeared where none was before, usually after carpet cleaning) occurred we found dirt. No wonder -- any attempts to clean the carpet brought more dirt up from below!

If you EVER have a house built watch the workers like a hawk throughout the process. And if you ever buy a new house that is already built insist on different carpet and watch them lay it.

HAH!

Oh, how annoying!

But just think, you never have to clean carpet in that room ever again. :)