Menu

Notgrass Exploring America.....Questions!

• 1 month later...

We used it for a 1 year course with the Teaching Co DVDs and lots of reading. To make it a 2 credit course, you would have to add so much. BJU US History is much more thorough, though even that would not be enough. It would be a better start. I think.

You could add some projects. Does your daughter want to spend two years so she can really go in depth, or because she feels it is too much to cover in one year?

We used it for a 1 year course with the Teaching Co DVDs and lots of reading. To make it a 2 credit course, you would have to add so much. BJU US History is much more thorough, though even that would not be enough. It would be a better start. I think.

You could add some projects. Does your daughter want to spend two years so she can really go in depth, or because she feels it is too much to cover in one year?

She wants to go more in depth.....she loves American History! Hmmmm. Maybe we'll look elsewhere. I'd prefer secular but am open to religious material as well.

I may have to start a different thread about my options of what to use to split AH in two years!

If you would prefer a secular text, I can recommend The History of the American People by Paul Johnson. SWB suggested it many moons ago..probably here on the board? My oldest used it in 9th and 10th grades with Spielvogel for Year 3 and 4  - Early Modern to Modern. We especially liked that it wasn't written by an American, so the pov was a bit removed, if that makes sense.

Another thought is Bailey's American Pageant. I used this in High School and still have fond memories of it. I am hoping to use it - well, a newer edition! - with my son. For various reasons it just wasn't the right choice for my other children.

Yet another thought - take a look at what is used for AP Courses. Spending 2 years on APUSH for 9th-10th grade would have a lot more substance than than Notgrass. Also, if you would prefer a secular text, I really don't think you would be happy with Notgrass!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions Liza!  

I do have American Odyssey.....I could use that I guess with Luckymama's reading schedule?  

I really would love something put together with assignments, quizzes & literature.....

I might have her try to CLEP out after US 1 & after US 2.

We may be joining a high school co-op but encase we don't go through with it, I want a back up plan.   If anyone would like to help me plan 9th and 10th of US 1/US 2 with literature, that would be AWESOME!!

:hurray:

• Like 1

If you are interested in secular instead, we really enjoyed America Past and Present. We did American History over 2 years, using one volume each year. We combined it with NROC course which is no longer available, but if I were doing it again, I might choose a set of great courses lectures (I like getting them cheap on audible) and combine with that. We added some literature (being old Sonlight users) and a few movies, some writing assignments and voila!

• Like 2