Menu

Calculator on AP Calc test

So I'm teaching ds calculus this year, and I got an AP prep book to try to make sure I cover everything on the test.  It is quite emphasized how important it is to have a graphing calculator and know how to use it for the test.  

There are several chapters on solving problems with the calculator.

For example "Evaluate the derivative of f(x)= x^2 + 1 at x=3, the solution starts with

1. Go to the nDeriv utility by pressing MATH 8.

2. Enter (x^2 + 1, 3) ENTER

And min-max problems are solved by graphing the function on the obnoxious utility and then moving the cursor and view window around until you find the min/max.

I know that I've been out of the field for nearly twenty years, but Really?!?

Will ds fail the test miserably if I just teach him calculus and don't spend hours teaching him the awful little programs on the TI?  

(We do actually do iterative problems on the computer and use real graphing programs on the PC or tablet to visualize functions, but I'm teaching him to take derivatives and do min-max by hand)

My sympathies! I learned calculus back in the days before calculators, so I do understand where you're coming from.

However, in order to do well on the AP calculus exams, your son will definitely need to use a graphing calculator. Have you seen the College Board course description booklet?

He only needs to be familiar with the 4 procedures listed on p.14 of that pdf. Those shouldn't take most kids more than an hour to master.

On the AP AB or BC exams, one section of the multiple choice and one section of the free response questions will allow calculator usage. Not all of the questions in those sections will require one, but there WILL be questions that cannot be solved any other way. They won't be easy examples that can be done by hand like your review book practice problems above, but instead will be messy integrals, functions that cannot be quickly graphed by hand, etc. 

You can see examples of calculator based MC problems on pp 23 - 27 of the same CB pdf linked above (#15, 19, 23, 24) and typical calculator FRQs on pp 48-49 (#1, 2).

It's a good idea to have him take a released exam before the real thing in May. It'll help with timing and getting used to the types of questions asked. There are lots of previous free response questions & grading rubrics on the official AP website, too.

Good luck!

As far as I can tell, that test is what's driving graphing calculator sales in the US.  

Neither of my older dc were allowed to use it in calc class in college.

:laugh: Dd2 isn't allowed to use hers in college calc class either.  She did use it for the AP exam, though.

My sympathies! I learned calculus back in the days before calculators, so I do understand where you're coming from.

However, in order to do well on the AP calculus exams, your son will definitely need to use a graphing calculator. Have you seen the College Board course description booklet?

He only needs to be familiar with the 4 procedures listed on p.14 of that pdf. Those shouldn't take most kids more than an hour to master.

On the AP AB or BC exams, one section of the multiple choice and one section of the free response questions will allow calculator usage. Not all of the questions in those sections will require one, but there WILL be questions that cannot be solved any other way. They won't be easy examples that can be done by hand like your review book practice problems above, but instead will be messy integrals, functions that cannot be quickly graphed by hand, etc. 

You can see examples of calculator based MC problems on pp 23 - 27 of the same CB pdf linked above (#15, 19, 23, 24) and typical calculator FRQs on pp 48-49 (#1, 2).

It's a good idea to have him take a released exam before the real thing in May. It'll help with timing and getting used to the types of questions asked. There are lots of previous free response questions & grading rubrics on the official AP website, too.

Good luck!

Thanks Kathy,

I'm really glad it's only part of the test.  I had just done a cursory look at the AP guide to get scope and sequence and didn't read it in detail.  I just freaked when the study guide spent so many chapters on the calculator that I didn't notice they were only allowed for part of the test.  

I'm still irritated that we have to learn it.  We use much more user friendly apps or programs to deal with iterative or unsolvable problems.  Learning the TI stuff is just annoying.  I sort of plan to burn the thing when he takes the last SAT and buy him a decent HP.

Thanks Kathy,

I'm really glad it's only part of the test.  I had just done a cursory look at the AP guide to get scope and sequence and didn't read it in detail.  I just freaked when the study guide spent so many chapters on the calculator that I didn't notice they were only allowed for part of the test.  

I'm still irritated that we have to learn it.  We use much more user friendly apps or programs to deal with iterative or unsolvable problems.  Learning the TI stuff is just annoying.  I sort of plan to burn the thing when he takes the last SAT and buy him a decent HP.

There aren't *that* many AP test problems that require the calculator, and it'll be pretty obvious which ones they are. He'll never be forced to use the calculator on a problem that's easier to compute by hand.

Yep, my kids both ditched their TI graphing calculators (ok, to be honest, they lost both lost them :laugh: ) during their first year of college. Neither needed nor missed them, & their tests didn't allow their use anyway.

When we need to calculate or sketch something quickly, it's just so much easier to use something like the Wolfram Alpha app (and much cheaper...)

I loved my old HP reverse polish machine in college!

There aren't *that* many AP test problems that require the calculator, and it'll be pretty obvious which ones they are. He'll never be forced to use the calculator on a problem that's easier to compute by hand.

Yep, my kids both ditched their TI graphing calculators (ok, to be honest, they lost both lost them :laugh: ) during their first year of college. Neither needed nor missed them, & their tests didn't allow their use anyway.

When we need to calculate or sketch something quickly, it's just so much easier to use something like the Wolfram Alpha app (and much cheaper...)

I loved my old HP reverse polish machine in college!

I think I will "lose" his. I would have gotten him an HP to start with but the College Board docs seemed waffly on which calculators were OK back then. I figured if his calculator looked like everyone else's he'd be fine.

I still use my HP reverse polish for everything(49SX), which completely explains why I hate the TI. When I go to do something on his calculator (or show him something), it is just all wrong! So, I have a strong bias that is contributing to my irritation.

It really is fine to me that they solve some problems computationally or visually. It's just that iMHO the TI is a crappy tool for that compared to what is available now. It's like trying to pull a wagon full of stuff with 3 wheels when the other wheel is just laying there waiting to be put on. [/rant off]. :)

So I'm teaching ds calculus this year, and I got an AP prep book to try to make sure I cover everything on the test.  It is quite emphasized how important it is to have a graphing calculator and know how to use it for the test.  

There are several chapters on solving problems with the calculator.

For example "Evaluate the derivative of f(x)= x^2 + 1 at x=3, the solution starts with

1. Go to the nDeriv utility by pressing MATH 8.

2. Enter (x^2 + 1, 3) ENTER

And min-max problems are solved by graphing the function on the obnoxious utility and then moving the cursor and view window around until you find the min/max.

I know that I've been out of the field for nearly twenty years, but Really?!?

Will ds fail the test miserably if I just teach him calculus and don't spend hours teaching him the awful little programs on the TI?  

(We do actually do iterative problems on the computer and use real graphing programs on the PC or tablet to visualize functions, but I'm teaching him to take derivatives and do min-max by hand)

Teach him how to use the calculator

I, too, took AP Calculus back when you were not allowed to bring a calculator and was able to answer every problem Just Fine.

However

1) The test now assumes you have the calculator. So is created with the assumption of how long it takes to answer the problem using a calculator and not to do the problems by hand

2) They can put in problems now that are harder to do by hand because it tests your ability to understand the terminology and use your calculator's functions.