Menu

Maker Space!?!?

Hi,

I'd like your help trying to figure out what a maker space in a home should look like. I've spent a lot of time finding ideas and such, but am having a hard time trying to figure out what I can buy to make projects more accessible to my kids (ages 12 and 8).

I think the areas that I see the kids wanting to build projects in are electronics, robotics, stop motion,  woodworking and soft circuits/wearables. These are such broad topics and I don't really even know how to narrow them down. We already have a lot of things for papercraft/cardboard construction and duct tape projects. And I have a school room with some dedicated space to stuff..

What sort of items would you start collecting? Keep in mind that I am in a country without access to a Maker Space at all. So, they don't have access to 3D printers, laser cutters or fancy woodworking machines.

I do have at least one of the following: Makey Makey, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Squishy Circuits, almost all of the LittleBits and other "kits" to be made.

I am looking to add on to these sorts of things that you find cool, but also an assortment of materials to have on hand so that when they come across a cool project, it doesn't have to get tabled every single time for supplies. I know I already need led lights, coin cell batteries and holders and some kind of motors. It's just so much stuff and overwhelming.

So, what does a maker space in your home look like?

What are some items I should look into buying?

Are there any projects or cool things I can buy for my 8 year old that would be fun to do? He loves the idea of doing these things, but can't do much of it on his own.

Thanks!!

My kids are younger, but we "make" a ton. That being said, we aren't horribly advanced in technology (yet). 

We do stop motion animation using Legos and our digital camera. I hook it up to a tripod, tell them to be careful (for all the good it does), and then let the work it out. I upload the photos to our computer and just use the Microsoft Movie Maker. It's primitive, but the boys are impressed with themselves. 

One thing that might work well for your DS8 is the Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction books (there are four). I bought one of the books, flipped through it, and then went to the dollar store and bought supplies (things like duct tape, plastic silverware,  tongue depressors, pencils, pens, paper clips, etc). I put it all in a plastic box with a lid for easy storage. The projects aren't easy enough for complete independence, but... my son is at least heading toward independence. 

My two older kids (10 and 8) like the Velleman kits and use soldering irons, etc.  They started with snap circuits when they were younger and the oldest moved to Velleman types of kits by about 8, and my 2nd child started around maybe 7.  DH had them practice soldering with extra components we had around, because it does take some practice, but eventually they moved to the little Velleman kits. They also use arduino and raspberri pi some.  They'e done some programming in Scratch and Python, so we have a few books related to that. 

Agree with PP on the Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction books.

My 10 yo likes doing stop animation as well.  He would love a 3 D printer but we haven't gotten that far yet.

I save paper bags, cardboard boxes, binder clips, clear packing tape, cardboard tubes, straws, rubber bands, jar lids, pipe cleaners, bits of string and wire, popsicle sticks- all sorts of random junk, really. My son is a builder/found art sculptor and my daughter is merrily along for the ride.

For a while my two were on a kick where they were making paper armor and weaponry. Watching them accidentally hit themselves with their homemade nun chucks gave me quite a giggle! Then it was the mini army made of pipe cleaner soldiers. Then it was the spaceship made out of multiple cardboard boxes taped together. Then it was the homemade bow that shot arrows 50 feet in the air. I don't tell them what to make, I just try to leave out as much raw materials as I can. 

My Maker Space is derived from books.  I find a book with lots of interesting projects, and buy or repurpose the materials I need to build them.  Many of these same materials can be reused for other projects.  

For electronics, you can start with Charles Platt's Make: Electronics (Maker Media).  Then you can move on to arduino projects and Raspberry Pi.  We are at that stage, and I have several library books with intriguing projects.  I source the materials and they join my collection.

Good luck!