Menu

Dr Hive: Shingles question

JustEm

I suspect my dh has shingles. My question is, do I need be concerned about exposure since I'm pregnant.  I've already had chicken pox so I know under normal circumstances I don't need to worry.  But I wasn't sure if I needed to worry because the baby may be at risk.

In addition, how long is one usually contagious if they have shingles?  I'm due for a c-section at the beginning of Feb.  Assuming dh has shingles, will he likely still be contagious if the rash just appeared?  I'm going to make him see the doctor and talk to my doctor about it but until then I figured I'd ask the hive.

I just got over shingles. It lasted for 2 weeks but i didn't get anti-viral meds until day 6. For him, the sooner he can get to the doctor and get an anti-viral the better. It can be painful. My doctor and the pediatrician said minimal to no chance of my girls getting chickenpox. If he stays covered up, everyone should be fine.

I had shingles last year, it was very painful. I took lysiene along with the antiviral and ibuprofen.

The dr told me just the liquid inside the blister was contagious. So I wouldn't change any bandages if I were you. Although, I don't think mine ever got to the blister stage. I think people can get chickenpox more than once, rarely.

I had shingles when I was nursing a nine-month old baby. I was worried about her catching chicken pox from my shingles since she hadn't been vaccinated yet. My doctor said it would be pretty hard for her to get chicken pox. Would have to have contact with the fluid in my rash. My bout was over pretty quickly--I got on antivirals within a day or two of noticing the rash (and dd never got sick).

Yeah i figured prior to birth I didn't have to worry about it. But with a newborn if he were still contagious he wouldn't be going near the baby if there was any chance of baby getting chicken pox no matter how small. I assume it won't last 4 weeks.