Menu

Help me design an Algebra 1.5 class

DS took Algebra 1 in 8th and Geometry in 9th in PS.  He got B's and C's, but he missed a lot of content due to illness.  At the end of last year, his Geometry teacher recommended he take a class that our district has that's for kids who need more practice before tackling Algebra 2.  He started in that class, and did well.  It was clearly the right place for him. The class started out with a review of Algebra 1, and will introduce some content from Algebra 2 in the spring.  It also places a great deal of emphasis on problem solving and applications of Algebra 1 skills.

Since I've pulled him out, I need to put together a math curriculum for him.  I'd like something that will get him to the point where he can tackle Algebra 2 in the fall with confidence and ease.  Any ideas for resources?  

Sadly, our district is big on reproducible worksheets, so there's no text I can purchase.

I was thinking of maybe using Aleks as a backbone, perhaps the Beginning and Intermediate Algebra classes from the Higher Education section (so that I can get an ACE transcript, our district is big on accreditation and transcripts), with additional problems from AoPS, and probably some more game like resources.  

Do you need a "transcript"/accreditation? Are you planning on sending your son back to public school in the future?

Have you done a search on the H.S. board (or look at the sticky) for online classes?  Especially those that will let you join in second semester after all the easier Algebra topics have been covered. 

There's a text by Lial that covers both beginner and Intermediate Algebra it moves much quicker through the topics then a regular 2 book set would.  There is also a solutions manual available (always a huge plus).

Given as he spent the fall doing alg 1 review and was going to do some parts of alg 2 in the spring I'd consider it better to just start alg 2 slowly now with a CC book such as Lial, Larson, Martin-Gay, etcetera, and work at his pace through the summer and next school year. Since he will no longer be in PS he doesn't need to make it fit within one school year. The school needs to do it this way because it's logistically very complicated to offer 'slow algebra 2' and 'regular algebra 2' and less complicated to do 'algebra 2 prep' and 'algebra 2'. These books are designed for developmental CC students so they include plenty of algebra 1 review. Spreading it over 4 semesters (including summer) will be basically doing it at half-pace.

You should still transcript it as whatever the school was going to transcript it as.

1) I would review what they covered in the bridge course at the PS.

2) Give him practice/placement tests to see where he is weak. If you PM me I have collected a few that I used with my DS for my after-schooling effort.

3)  Start with those areas - there are free worksheets,  videos (Khan, etc),  and even text books.  I can post some links if desired.

Whilst you're student is catching up in the "spring semester" determine a plan forward for Algebra 2 (unless you have the subject background I would suggest some kind of supplemental help).

Example course outline:

http://allinonehighschool.com/full-curriculum/math/2107-2/

Given as he spent the fall doing alg 1 review and was going to do some parts of alg 2 in the spring I'd consider it better to just start alg 2 slowly now with a CC book such as Lial, Larson, Martin-Gay, etcetera, and work at his pace through the summer and next school year. Since he will no longer be in PS he doesn't need to make it fit within one school year. The school needs to do it this way because it's logistically very complicated to offer 'slow algebra 2' and 'regular algebra 2' and less complicated to do 'algebra 2 prep' and 'algebra 2'. These books are designed for developmental CC students so they include plenty of algebra 1 review. Spreading it over 4 semesters (including summer) will be basically doing it at half-pace.

You should still transcript it as whatever the school was going to transcript it as.

^ This.  Beginning & Intermediate Algebra is 1 & 2 together.  Perfect for a recap.  AoPS Intro to Algebra is about the same (1&2), but you would need to be very comfortable with the material yourself.  Elaine Martin-Gay has published solutions to her problems in videos online, and her text is excellent.

DS took Algebra 1 in 8th and Geometry in 9th in PS.  He got B's and C's, but he missed a lot of content due to illness.  At the end of last year, his Geometry teacher recommended he take a class that our district has that's for kids who need more practice before tackling Algebra 2.  He started in that class, and did well.  It was clearly the right place for him. The class started out with a review of Algebra 1, and will introduce some content from Algebra 2 in the spring.  It also places a great deal of emphasis on problem solving and applications of Algebra 1 skills.

Since I've pulled him out, I need to put together a math curriculum for him.  I'd like something that will get him to the point where he can tackle Algebra 2 in the fall with confidence and ease.  Any ideas for resources?  

At what level do you think your student actually belongs in Algebra 2 (remedial, regular, honors)?  This is very important for material selection. To be honest, a "C" in a regular PS math class is not good but it may due to the illness.

How is your student with self-learning?

Right now our plan is that, if his health stabilizes, he'll go back to PS in the fall.  I work full time (as, ironically, a high school special ed teacher), and he's a kid I'd describe as a shy extrovert, which is a bad combo for being home alone all day.  Things could change and he could discover that he loves homeschooling and wants to continue, but right now his choice would be to be with his peers all day, and most importantly (to him) back on his sports team, so that's what we're planning towards.  My guess is that he'll take what our district calls "On Level Algebra 2" next fall, although it's possible that if he makes a lot of progress he could either take Alg 2 in the summer, and move on for the fall, or take Honors Algebra 2 next year.  I think that adjustment is going to be tough, so I'd love it if he was far enough ahead that math was easy for him and he could focus on other things.

Klana and Mike, while his class spent most of the fall reviewing Algebra 1, and might be ready to move on to 2, he spent most of the fall absent. He hasn't been in class in a state where he's learning since late Oct., and missed several weeks of school before then.  

He's a very good independent worker, although he still needs some support.  I'm confident in my ability to support him through about Algebra 1 without review, and through at least Algebra 2 if I've got something to refer to, like the explanations in Aleks or the teacher's guide for AoPS.  I also might take some Aleks classes so that I stay one step ahead of him.  I've also got math teacher colleagues and math resources from school that I can use.  

There are so many wonderful algebra resources online that it's hard to choose among them! Here is a great list to explore:

The list was compiled by one of my favorite math bloggers from suggestions by high school and college math people around the internet. Rich and rigorous, yet plenty of variety.

Is it a possibility for him to have a home visitation teacher from the school district?

The short answer to this is no.  

I could elect to have him completely schooled this way, but for a variety of reasons I don't want to do this.  I can't pick and choose.  So, for example, he couldn't take math through the district and science through an online school.