Menu

If you work part time...

EmilyGF

I was a SAHM for 12 years before venturing back out into the work world.  in 2006 my youngest was 5 and I felt ready.  I googled how to write a resume and cover letter, applied for something online that my dh happen to find, got called in for 2 interviews over 2 weeks, and got the job.  It was for retention, collection, and sales in a call center for a large cable/internet company.  LOVED the job and was there for 7 years working evenings - 6pm-10pm (until they laid everyone off and moved to another state last year).  The part-time evening hours were perfect - I still had all day for homeschooling, field trips, and classes. Then dh came home and took over (cooking, driving, etc).  

One thing I remember from the 2nd interview was that the supervisor was actually impressed about my being a SAHM mom for 12 years, especially after I mentioned how it taught me to be super organized and how to micromanage and multitask.  

p.s.  After 6 months of unemployment and starting and quitting a real crappy department store job, my old supervisor called me to see if I would work for him again (they were finally hiring part-timers).  I'm happy to say I'm now back with the cable company working evenings (25hrs/week) in their retail store.  I've been there for 2 months now and love it better than the call center.  

I am a RN and have worked part time since my oldest was born in 1998. I love how flexible nursing is and my schedule has changed depending on the age of my kids and what works for my family. I have worked 12 hr shifts, 8hr shifts, nights, weekends, days, etc. For the past few years I have been in hospice and love it. I work 2 days a week and help with oncall. I control my schedule and the days I work. It is a perfect fit for my family right now.

I'm doing a whole bunch of different jobs currently:

1. teach private bassoon lessons early Monday morning at the local high school

2. work for an online homeschool company as the teaching assistant for 5th grade, which means I log on and grade papers during the week (they are hiring now; if anyone wants info, let me know!)

3. teach h.s. biology at a local co-op

4. teach 5 piano students; I travel to their houses

5. clean for our church nursery 2-3 hours per week, while my daughters are in ballet (pays the gas)

6. in the summers, I run science camps for local kids at area churches

I feel stressed, stretched, and like it's never enough. . . .. :crying: May need to think about going back full-time in the next two years. Hoping the local co-op will hire me for 3-4 classes next year, then I could cut back and maybe only work 1 job.

I messaged you!

I hope that things will work out for you and your family! It is so hard to make ends meet, and from the sound of it, it seems that you are taking on a lot!