Menu

Ronit Bird and Dynamo Math.... Questions

I've been all over the place posting on here lately. Thank you for bearing with me and my endless questions! :) I'm considering switching DD to Ronit Bird and maybe Dynamo math? I would have to take dd10 (dyslexic) WAY back, because she has so many holes in the foundation of her mathematical knowledge. DD(4th) recently bombed a 3rd grade MM math test, but her answers were so chaotic and it was as if she didn't read any of the instructions, but I know that she did. When I take her back through it... most of the time she's convinced that she answered it correctly. I may try to post a scanned image of a page of her test on here because it's hard to really relate the types of mistakes dd made. I don't have an iPad, so I will have to get one of the Ronit print books. Which RB book would you suggest that I start with?

ETA: It's very sad to me that DD has recently started telling her friends how much she "hates" math. :( I want to help her learn to enjoy math... or at least not hate it! ;)

Try, if you can, to incorporate some fun projects that use real life math.  Play math games.  Have you seen the resources on Soror's Relaxed Math thread?

And find some fun logic based stuff.  Maybe she would do better with that than just straight computation.

As for which printed book, I think there were some posts recently here on the LC board describing the various books.  Those might help you decide which RB to start with.  

As for DM, I liked the program but it wasn't that expensive when I signed up.  The program was really just sort of starting out, apparently.  I think cost has increased over the past couple of years.  I wonder if it is worth it now.  You might do just as well issuing the free assessment tests from CLE Math, then start your daughter with CLE, paired with RB.

Try, if you can, to incorporate some fun projects that use real life math.  Play math games.  Have you seen the resources on Soror's Relaxed Math thread?

And find some fun logic based stuff.  Maybe she would do better with that than just straight computation.

As for which printed book, I think there were some posts recently here on the LC board describing the various books.  Those might help you decide which RB to start with.  

As for DM, I liked the program but it wasn't that expensive when I signed up.  The program was really just sort of starting out, apparently.  I think cost has increased over the past couple of years.  I wonder if it is worth it now.  You might do just as well issuing the free assessment tests from CLE Math, then start your daughter with CLE, paired with RB.

Thank you very much for your post! CLE is something that I've looked at in the past.

I emailed Ronit bird about her print books for my dd 9 & this was her reply:

My first print book, The Dyscalculia Toolkit published by Sage covers more or less everything that's in the three ebooks (and a lot more besides) but without the demonstration videos and with considerably fewer illustrations than the ebooks. For example, in the Toolkit book, pages 19 - 27 are devoted to dot patterns for the numbers up to 10. In the Dot Pattern ebook, 118 fully illustrated pages and 100 minutes of demonstration videos are devoted to the same narrow topic.

My Dyscalculia Toolkit print book is very clear and detailed and is designed to be accessible to both teachers and parents, so you should find it easy to use. I am guessing that if you are interested in the Dot Pattern ebook your daughter is still at the stage of working with the numbers up to 10, in which case she will not be ready for the next book, Overcoming Difficulties with Number, for quite a while. When you get to that stage, you will find that the Overcoming Difficulties book is aimed more at teachers than at parents, but as a homeschooler you will probably have no problem following anything in that book either. If you do, you are welcome to send me a query via email. Please avoid the third print book, The Dyscalculia Resource Book, until you have undertaken the teaching described in the other two books. the Resource Book is full of games and puzzles designed to practise particular calculation methods that have already been taught at the concrete level, details of which are very thoroughly explained in the previous two print books and in my three ebooks.

Hope this info is helpful! I just received the Toolkit book so I haven't used it yet. I am also considering dynamo math.

I emailed Ronit bird about her print books for my dd 9 & this was her reply:

My first print book, The Dyscalculia Toolkit published by Sage covers more or less everything that's in the three ebooks (and a lot more besides) but without the demonstration videos and with considerably fewer illustrations than the ebooks. For example, in the Toolkit book, pages 19 - 27 are devoted to dot patterns for the numbers up to 10. In the Dot Pattern ebook, 118 fully illustrated pages and 100 minutes of demonstration videos are devoted to the same narrow topic.

My Dyscalculia Toolkit print book is very clear and detailed and is designed to be accessible to both teachers and parents, so you should find it easy to use. I am guessing that if you are interested in the Dot Pattern ebook your daughter is still at the stage of working with the numbers up to 10, in which case she will not be ready for the next book, Overcoming Difficulties with Number, for quite a while. When you get to that stage, you will find that the Overcoming Difficulties book is aimed more at teachers than at parents, but as a homeschooler you will probably have no problem following anything in that book either. If you do, you are welcome to send me a query via email. Please avoid the third print book, The Dyscalculia Resource Book, until you have undertaken the teaching described in the other two books. the Resource Book is full of games and puzzles designed to practise particular calculation methods that have already been taught at the concrete level, details of which are very thoroughly explained in the previous two print books and in my three ebooks.

Hope this info is helpful! I just received the Toolkit book so I haven't used it yet. I am also considering dynamo math.

This was so helpful! Thank you very much. It answered my question.