Menu

Accountability- Holiday Edition 2014/15

I've had better Friday's! My van went down on Wednesday and it's going to cost quite a bit to fix, my hormones are in overdrive so I'm either screaming or crying. So, what are your favorite apps for budgeting, home organization (routines) and who wants to help me set up Google calendar and then remind me to actually use it, lol. Oh and if you us Paprika, tell me if you enjoy it and how exactly you make it work for you. I have it but can't figure out how to make my shopping list or menu plan using it.

I LOVE HomeRoutines for iPad. Very customizeable. It has a 15 minute timer built in and it will send you pop ups as a reminder to start a routine. I also use it for my to do list, my cleaning checklists, summer bucket list, Christmas preparations, etc etc

Google calendar is the only calendar I use. I can't say I use it a ton, but that's just cause we don't ahve a lot of random appointments. Every season I go through our calendar and add all the upcoming fun classes that aren't weekly through the city with an alert a week or two ahead of time so I can decide if any or all of us could attend. I put in the repeating classes (like piano lessons) so I don't accidently schedule a dentist appointment over them. Other than that . . . Alerts are key! Then you get a pop up you can't ignore or miss!

I LOVE HomeRoutines for iPad. Very customizeable. It has a 15 minute timer built in and it will send you pop ups as a reminder to start a routine. I also use it for my to do list, my cleaning checklists, summer bucket list, Christmas preparations, etc etc

Google calendar is the only calendar I use. I can't say I use it a ton, but that's just cause we don't ahve a lot of random appointments. Every season I go through our calendar and add all the upcoming fun classes that aren't weekly through the city with an alert a week or two ahead of time so I can decide if any or all of us could attend. I put in the repeating classes (like piano lessons) so I don't accidently schedule a dentist appointment over them. Other than that . . . Alerts are key! Then you get a pop up you can't ignore or miss!

Thank you, HomeRoutines is the one I was looking at, hopefully it fixes me.

Started back today with Latin and Math. As I expected, the gnashing of teeth and weeping and wailing for "lost freedom" began almost instantly. I donned my dark cape and helmet and stuck to my guns, and I only had to wave my red Light Saber a few times. I am very glad that we start off with a half day on the week. Once they got going they were fine...it's the principle of the thing that must be protested. :laugh:

Their friend from next door is over and all three of them are digging some kind of pond outside (easy to do given how much rain we've had over the last two days) and soaking up some much needed sunshine. I keep calling them in every twenty minutes or so to thaw their hands. It's just above freezing and blowing a gale. But they are just so glad to get outside right now. I'm so glad we have the wood heat circulating through the house. I love being able to say, "Go outside all you want guys! Just keep running in and out to get warm." The friend has another two days off because the teachers need planning days. Enter the idea of getting up super early to do school so that they can play most of the afternoon. Enthusiastic leaping and applause, from the same two condemned prisoners from the morning. Got to love preteen boys.

Started back today with Latin and Math. As I expected, the gnashing of teeth and weeping and wailing for "lost freedom" began almost instantly. I donned my dark cape and helmet and stuck to my guns, and I only had to wave my red Light Saber a few times. I am very glad that we start off with a half day on the week. Once they got going they were fine...it's the principle of the thing that must be protested. :laugh:

Their friend from next door is over and all three of them are digging some kind of pond outside (easy to do given how much rain we've had over the last two days) and soaking up some much needed sunshine. I keep calling them in every twenty minutes or so to thaw their hands. It's just above freezing and blowing a gale. But they are just so glad to get outside right now. I'm so glad we have the wood heat circulating through the house. I love being able to say, "Go outside all you want guys! Just keep running in and out to get warm." The friend has another two days off because the teachers need planning days. Enter the idea of getting up super early to do school so that they can play most of the afternoon. Enthusiastic leaping and applause, from the same two condemned prisoners from the morning. Got to love preteen boys.

Did you really make them do Latin and Math today? Don't you know that the Intergalactic Official Homeschool Restart Day is Monday? I guess you didn't get the memo.

[Of course, we started back up on Friday, so I didn't get the memo, either]. ;)

I got the memo! I toyed with the idea of starting history this weekend cause I'd like to cover two chapters this week and Artistic Pursuits cause I think the kids would like it, but, for a change, they were playing so well with hardly any arguing that I just left well enough alone :) We'll start full swing on Monday. I even slept in until 9 this morning just to take full advantage.

I got a little bit of ahead-of-time cooking done: Beet salad for adult lunches, pizza rolls for the freezer for kids' lunches on town days, carrot raisin muffins for almost any old time. I'd like to do cornish pasties, freezer crockpot meals and more muffins but we're running low/are out of almost everything and the roads have been TERRIBLE the last few days. It's been snowing non-stop for eight hours now so that on top of the layer of ice from yesterday's freezing rain convinces me to stay home and do my prep-cooking next weekend! I'm going to take an hour to veg and drink a cup of tea, then I think I'll make some tapioca pudding instead lol. Gotta enjoy my last lazy day!

We will be starting tomorrow and I've yet to pull out the books we're going to be using. I also need to help my older Ds figure out what's up with his financial aid so that he can register for school, get some food in the house and hopefully my dh will get to work on getting my van up and running.

I got the memo. I'm going rogue.  :closedeyes:

Actually not. Sunday is my Monday. We keep a four day week but Latin and Math are better as five day a week subjects, which is why Sunday is a half-day for us. It works out well, because if they have some yelps and squawking to do, I only have to listen to if from nine to noon. And DH is here, so he can spell me for math when I need a break.

The rest of today was, however, very lazy. I got all my quest stories selected and ready for the next four weeks or more (one of them I could easily spend three weeks on) and I'm feeling better about using my own models with CW Homer. I'm glad that I did buy the whole thing, and not just the core book, because I can see how it is set up, and I am very glad I spent much of the summer and fall reading through the core book, underlining passages and making notes. This could work!

And now, thanks to Tawlas, I have a sudden desire for tapioca to follow the bowl of chicken stew I had for dinner. I ate the last of my cheesecake, so do I have leftover apricot almond cake? Or dark chocolate with walnuts? Cause now I've got to have something sweet.