Menu

Gluten free roll & cutout sugar cookies?

Seasider

Any ideas? The easiest looking recipe I've found seems to be using the Betty Crocker gf cake mix to make cookie dough. If any of you have tried and true recipes, I'd like to hear them. However, the challenge is that we have nut allergies so I can't use anything with almond or other nut flours.

We are allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, dairy and more. I had given up on roll out sugar cookies, but was so excited to find a recipe this year!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gluten-free-christmas-sugar-cookies/d3ab2026-54a3-4ff5-9c81-3f38b30acd89

It uses Betty Crocker rice flour, and they label for may contains. There is no nut warning, and.I trust their labeling.

We used dairy subs, but I bet they'd be great with real dairy.

I found that they baked quickly, and came out better when I lowered the temp a bit and watched carefully.

They were crumblier than non GF cookies, but not too bad with practice. Be gentle, and you'll be ok.

I found that a smaller size cookie was easier to handle, so we used our smaller cookie cutters - about an inch, maybe an inch and a half in diameter.

They don't turn golden exactly, like the recipe said. I found that if we waited for that, they would be overdone. Once we got the hang of not overcooking them - it was good.

We made a double batch and they are gone. Making more tomorrow! Even the non GF kids liked them.

These turn out great! I like them better than the ones I used to make with wheat flour.

Sugar Cookies

1/3 cup butter

1/3 cup shortening

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup rice flour

1tsp xanthan gum

1 egg

1 TBS milk

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup potato starch flour

Sweet rice flour for rolling

Beat butter, shortening, and sugar. Add rice flour, xanthan gum, egg, milk, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix. Add tapioca and potato starch flours. Mix.

Cover and chill in refrigerator for three hours.

Rook out dough on sweet rice flour with plastic wrap on top. Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.

These turn out great! I like them better than the ones I used to make with wheat flour.

Sugar Cookies

1/3 cup butter

1/3 cup shortening

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup rice flour

1tsp xanthan gum

1 egg

1 TBS milk

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup potato starch flour

Sweet rice flour for rolling

Beat butter, shortening, and sugar. Add rice flour, xanthan gum, egg, milk, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix. Add tapioca and potato starch flours. Mix.

Cover and chill in refrigerator for three hours.

Rook out dough on sweet rice flour with plastic wrap on top. Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.

Those look great.   :)  Do you have a source for tapioca flour, potato starch flour and sweet rice flour that's not cross-contaminated with tree nuts, sesame or peanuts?  I would so love to find one, it would open up our baking world in a big way!  

Those look great. :) Do you have a source for tapioca flour, potato starch flour and sweet rice flour that's not cross-contaminated with tree nuts, sesame or peanuts? I would so love to find one, it would open up our baking world in a big way!

No, sorry : ( We are dairy and gluten free and that is hard enough for me to manage!