Menu

If you have used both Miquon & RS (Poll)

Slache

If you have used both Miquon & RS (Poll)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you think is best?

• Just Miquon
    • Just RightStart
    • Both Miquon & RightStart
    • Miquon with RightStart games
    • I've only used Miquon, but wouldn't change a thing
    • I've only used RightStart, but wouldn't change a thing

I think Miquon is pretty nifty; I would've adored learning math that way. However, dd convinced herself that she was horrible at math because she didn't work well with Miquon. Which was silly, since I could see that she was really quite good at math, but just needed a different method to learn it.

We eventually switched to RightStart (a couple of other curricula happened in between). She still maintained that she was just awful at math due to that bad first experience with Miquon ... eventually getting dual credit through Calc 2 (second highest grade in the class) by the time she graduated, and pursuing an electrical engineering degree. She now believes she's good at math! But, wow, that Miquon "bad at math" baggage hung around for 11 years.

So, moral of the story, what you like might not be the best fit anyway, so just take a plunge and see what happens. I will note, though, that Miquon is waaaaay cheaper, so if you have to jettison something that isn't working out, you'll feel better about getting rid of Miquon since you'll have less invested in it.

I said Miquon with the RS games because that's what we ended up doing, but I don't think there's a right or wrong answer - different methods will work for different teachers and kids. Miquon is flexible and open ended but the teacher materials can be confusing for some people. RS is more scripted. I think some kids really gravitate to the rods and others to the abacus (and others to neither - some kids don't need or want manipulatives). They're both great programs. My general take is that if you're unsure or on the fence to start with the cheaper option, which in this case is Miquon.

I prefer right start, but I have only used the first level of each. I don't think miquon is bad though. it would seem that right start would be more difficult with a toddler running around, due to all those lovely manipulatives. Surprisingly, I found that the rods were worse in that regard. At least with the abacus you only have to pick one object up off the floor.