Menu

Gift ideas for teen girl who loves writing? Help!

Joker

Oldest dd, almost 15, hasn't asked for really anything. She wanted some fun shirts, iTunes cards, and Barnes & Noble gift cards. That's it. I'm wanting to at least get her one thing she's not expecting and would enjoy. She goes to a magnet school for her writing and it's what she does with most of her spare time. She has all kinds of dictionaries and thesauruses (is that right, it looks weird). She usually journals in composition books which she has drawers/bins of at this point. She also has her own laptop that she writes with a lot.

Is there something neat out there she might enjoy that I don't know about?

"Writing Magic" by Gail Carson Levine has been recommended for my teen writer by two different teachers. 

What type of writing does she do? If she's writing speculative fiction (fantasy/sci-fi) check out "Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction" by Jeff VanderMeer. 

Other suggestions from the writers in my household:

"Getting the Words Right: 39 Ways to Improve Your Writing" by Theodore Cheney

"The Writer's Digest Handbook of Novel Writing" (my 14 yo daughter likes this one)
subscription to Writer's Digest magazine