Menu

One more Advent calendar question

ILiveInFlipFlops

If you include things like "make cookies with mom"--things that would need to be written on a paper slip or something--how do you do them? Do you just write them on a piece of paper and stick them in the box, or do you do something a little fancier? Ideally, I'd love to have something permanent that I could save and include each year, but I've never had this kind of Advent calendar before, so I'm at a loss for ideas.

Thanks!

We're not doing that type of advent calendar this year, but in the past, I've written it on (or printed and cut out) little slips of paper and rolled them like tiny scrolls, tied with ribbon.

If you want something more permanent, maybe you could get some little wooden shapes at the craft store and write on those? They make tiny stars and trees, you could paint those, then use a fine point sharpie to write on them.  Just a thought, I've never seen this done.  

I made 24 little felt stockings with a number tag attached to each. I use mini clothes pins to attach the stockings to a piece of thick red rick-rack draped along the top of a large bookcase. Each stocking holds a piece of paper with an activity written on it.

I have 25 little bitty envelopes that hang with mini-clothespins on a pretty ribbon. I made the envelopes from pretty scrapbooky Christmassy papers. Each one has two cards - one with a reading and one with an activity. Before December starts, I sit down with my calendar and figure out which days need to be simple (enjoy a candy cane today!) and which can be more involved (set up the tree! Make cookies!). My kids (9, 7, 5, 3) love the envelopes.