Menu

Need prayer- for the sale of our house (bad neighbours)

Jasperstone

These people sound like bullies.  Don't you have any big, mean-looking relatives (preferably men) who you can invite over, for frequent BBQs or to hang out in the yard?  Not to be obnoxious, not to be actively threatening, but to show that you are not alone in the world, that you have "people" too?  Bullies are usually big cowards in reality.

A "biker gang" costume party at your house, one in which you follow all laws, all rules, but the visual is there?  Regular outdoor meetings in which you do.nothing.wrong. but have friends in numbers over?

I am mostly kidding, because probably your idea to get out is much better than provoking people.  I want to do the same thing.  We are actively looking at farm land.  We don't have overt hostility around us, but I believe a lot of land between neighbors makes much better neighbors.

LOL, my dd 26 is dating a body building Maori. And that thought did cross me. :D 

I agree with you that courtesy is a wonderful thing.  A lot of kids don't have it.  However, if an audio book bothers a neighbor, especially if it is being listened to during the legal hours to make noise, then the neighbor is a "princess in the pea" grouchy type that is looking for trouble, in my opinion. 

Someone's desire to have a perfectly quiet environment in a neighborhood of people (and especially children) is no less obnoxious to me than someone's desire to be loud and rude at all hours.  The neighbors are not being courteous to OP.  They are being mean bullies.

Thank you!

:hurray:

We are the only kid family left, so it's time to move. I just wish I could pick up my house and move it, lol.

How funny, my dd 12 said the exact same thing to me this morning !

They aren't! I forgot to add that they purposely hose down the kids when they play on the side of the house.

And when my ds was a toddler he used to call out- hello. And they would ignore him. It was really sad, as he would try harder. If they had such bad hearing then that audio book shouldn't have annoyed them. ;)

Oh hell no,  My cool would not have been kept.

I agree that the reactions to the audio book and the tree were over the top, and that wanting to pretend the kids don't exist is unreasonable.

I also think the OP was upset about some things that, IMO, were not unreasonable.

It definitely sounds to me like more space would suit the OP's family very well, and I hope they find the right place for them.  :)

So, having the neighbour (audio) man call out he will ring the police to your children when they crossed their frontyard, and then come charging at my husband with his wife raving wouldn't upset you?

Sorry, if I missed that part, but I was trying to get to the build up of it all.

I hope your sale goes well :)

Those definitely sound like unnecessary requests, except for the one about the crossing over their yard. If something happened to your child that home owner would can be at fault. I'd be annoyed too as they made sidewalks for a reason.

We live in a suburb that hasn't got sidewalks. But 6 meters from the road is council property etc...

We have told the kids to stay away. But to go on like that (call the police) is over-the-top, don't you think?

There are ways which people can communicate their issues with out making it an even bigger issue.

Oh, I would beg them to call the police! I would dare them to call the police. I would love to explain to the policeman that the neighbors had cursed at my kids and hosed them! Actually, if the hosing thing happred on a regular basis, I might call them myself.

Oh, I would beg them to call the police! I would dare them to call the police. I would love to explain to the policeman that the neighbors had cursed at my kids and hosed them! Actually, if the hosing thing happred on a regular basis, I might call them myself.

I hear you, though one slight problem is that their son is one! So, they can cause even more dramas for us etc....

Ah! That would throw a wrench into things! I hope you get your house sold fast and find a dream home in a dream location! (And for a dream price!)

ETA: it's possible that no one will understand the crazy as well as their son! He may be more sympathetic than you'd think.

I hear you, though one slight problem is that their son is one! So, they can cause even more dramas for us etc....

But you said they never had children?

No, nothing like that. Though when a ball or frisbee does fly over the fence, they will display it on there window sill instead of throwing it back over.

I don't think so. They never had children themselves, so aren't tolerate to normal child behaviour etc...

Ah! That would throw a wrench into things! I hope you get your house sold fast and find a dream home in a dream location! (And for a dream price!)

ETA: it's possible that no one will understand the crazy as well as their son! He may be more sympathetic than you'd think.

True! As I know one of their children doesn't speak to them- for years now. And another In-law son never comes anymore when the daughter visits. I used to think he (their adult child) was mean by avoiding them..... now I know there's always another side to every story. Like I said earlier, we have lived there for over 20 yrs, and it's the last couple of yrs that the problems started. They are getting older and so are mine etc...

Eh, I hope you sell your house soon and noisy, obnoxious partiers move in. LOL!

My dh dreams of winning the lottery so he can give away his home to a family with a bunch of wild kids. So they can have something to really complain about! :001_rolleyes:

I know this sounds mean, but we let our minds think of silly things to stop us from going stir crazy!!! :willy_nilly:

The *tree* neighbours have never had children. The *audio* neighbours have grown children- one is a policeman. The *school teacher* also has never had children.

Got ya. I thought there was just one pair causing all the trouble.

I hope you can get out of there ASAP and find a wonderful new house. I can't imagine living on eggshells like that. It sounds like your kids are normal active kids and the neighbors just have unrealistic expectations. Good luck

Doesn't sound as if your yard is big enough to do all that playing without annoying the neighbors and violating their privacy. It is loud if an elderly person can hear your voices inside the next house...they aren't known for being able to hear well, even with the hearing aids in. I have one neighbor that won't respect the noise laws...I can hear everything if I turn my A/C off and have a window open ( I can hear their TV perfectly well too if its on...son really needs to get his mother a better hearing aid).... and they aren't adjacent..came in very handy when they wanted to add a few more apts to the rooms they are renting out illegally, but told the authorities they were just wanting to convert the garage to an apt for the elderly owner. They now have restrictions on who can live in the house, which has cut the noise down considerably as the tenants have moved on and not been replaced. Consider that if you don't turn the volume down, your neighbors can hear every word of your personal business.

About not throwing the ball/frisbee back...you are seeing their custom vs your custom. They were most likely raised to not play so hard that windows are knocked out and gardens damaged by balls/frisbees routinely going over the fence...and if they do, one politely knocks on the front door and asks if it would be ok to retreive the ball/frisbee. Just like cutting thru the yard without permission, its quite possible that your child will get hurt by something they saw and were curious about, or didn't see, while not supervised. Like others said, the solution is to keep your noise/possessions/children on your property. For some families that means moving to a bigger property. I hope you find what you like. At least you know your market....retirees people who aren't partiers..... and your requirement...3 to 5 acres or a smaller property in a very noisy location. You might want to give the neighbors a heads up on the open house, so they can plan their day. A few cookies might help smooth things over too.

Seriously?

Have you ever considered that perhaps the neighbors are just plain mean? Isn't it entirely possible that they have unrealistic expectations of what it's like to live in a neighborhood where the houses are close together? I'm not sure why you are blaming Jasperstone, as it doesn't sound like her kids are doing anything unusual or being particularly disruptive.

It sounds like the neighbors should be moving to a nice, quiet retirement community somewhere.

Jasperstone, I hope your house sells quickly and that you and your family are very happy in your new home.