Menu

Maybe I should give my kid a test or two...

Interesting article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/sunday-review/studying-for-the-test-by-taking-it.html?action=click&contentCollection=Media&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

I think I definitely solidify learning through testing, or some other synthetic assessment.

I'll have to ponder this some more. But my kid has already discovered the joy of pulling the TM out of my hands and quizzing me. He seems awfully disappointed when I don't get any wrong, though. :lol:   

I think if it's fun for the child and not stressful, it can help. For my DD, I've found outside competition exams and talent search testing really do help her pull together her knowledge, but since the only thing at stake is "If you do well, you get a medal and a certificate, if not, you get a certificate", it's pretty low stress.

I think the article is actually stating the opposite to some degree.   It validates the idea that "just" testing is not the sole way to help students retain info in their long term memory.  Presentations, discussing/debating, teaching the teacher (my kids have to do this a lot in high school!), research, outlining chpts, papers, etc, all combine to give the same sort of "mixed problem set" learning vs isolated studying for the test.

I love this quote at the end.... convinces the brain that the knowledge is useful and important.  I don't give my kids many tests precisely b/c we do all of the other activities which means my kids also know that what they are learning is useful and important (and thus they learn/remember it.) :)