Menu

College application interviews - help!

Lynn in Caribbean

My dd may have to interview for one or two of the colleges she has applied to.

She is bright and capable - she is organized, diligent, and quite simply manages her life so well.  But, she is also a quiet soul.  I think she will come across in an interview as a stereotypical "unsocialized" homeschooler, to an admissions counselor.  

Her interviews will have to be on skype, which I think makes it even harder.

I am thinking that we can google a list of typical interview questions, so she can think ahead about answers and practice - in front of the mirror, with friends, with family.

How did your student prep for interviews?

I don't think people who work in education really think of homeschoolers as unsocialized. They see so many truly poorly socialized individuals from all backgrounds, mostly private and public schooled, and plenty of people in public school remain shy. I just want to give you that perspective so you don't feel that somehow they will be biased against her. Shyness is okay. Quietness is okay. She can be quiet and thoughtful but her confidence will shine through. These are academics: many of them were also awkward youths. They are not your typical anti-homeschool bully politicians.

So, there's that. :) I wish your daughter the best of luck.

Quiet is OK.  A good interviewer will work hard to get the conversation going and to get the interviewee comfortable.  That said, reviewing a list of typical questions can help prevent the "deer in the headlights" phenomenon.  We did that with our kids.  I had them look over the questions and then had them come up with talking points for each question.  I did not have them rehearse answers because I was concerned they would come across as fake or was concerned that they would be so worried about remembering the exact phrasing they had used that they would forget that it isn't a speech, but a conversation. 

First, I'd spend some time fiddling with skype and your camera to make sure that the lighting is good, the camera isn't looking up her nose, and the background isn't too distracting.  Then, especially if she hasn't interviewed before, and if she's willing, I'd role play some typical interview questions with her.  Nothing too difficult, just so she gets some experience with the process. And if she's really game, I think it would be useful to role play with her as the interviewer, and you as the potential college student.