Menu

All my 12yo wants to eat is black beans...

Allearia

It is the weirdest thing. I think he had some black beans in preschool, but that was eight years ago, it's not something anyone else eats. I bought 5 cans a few days ago and they are gone, he eats a can in one sitting almost every day for lunch. Usually he puts them in a tortilla with cheese, sometimes over tortilla chips.

It has to be a certain way too. When visiting relatives his aunt had a quesadilla maker and tried making a black bean and cheese quesadilla, but he couldn't eat it. He doesn't like melted cheese. No salsa either, though he loves chips and salsa.

I have tried making them at home, one batch he really liked but the others times I did that he didn't eat them. Just plain cans of black beans.

I'm not really worried about it. I wish he would eat more veggies but he gets plenty of fiber. He eats quite a few other foods, and apples and bananas and cantalope. I guess he is my health nut.

I'm wondering if anyone else has kids with such weird taste? Right now he just came up to me asking if I had gotten any more and he got annoyed that we were out and is trying to think of something else for lunch.

It is the weirdest thing. I think he had some black beans in preschool, but that was eight years ago, it's not something anyone else eats. I bought 5 cans a few days ago and they are gone, he eats a can in one sitting almost every day for lunch. Usually he puts them in a tortilla with cheese, sometimes over tortilla chips.

It has to be a certain way too. When visiting relatives his aunt had a quesadilla maker and tried making a black bean and cheese quesadilla, but he couldn't eat it. He doesn't like melted cheese. No salsa either, though he loves chips and salsa.

I have tried making them at home, one batch he really liked but the others times I did that he didn't eat them. Just plain cans of black beans.

I'm not really worried about it. I wish he would eat more veggies but he gets plenty of fiber. He eats quite a few other foods, and apples and bananas and cantalope. I guess he is my health nut.

I'm wondering if anyone else has kids with such weird taste? Right now he just came up to me asking if I had gotten any more and he got annoyed that we were out and is trying to think of something else for lunch.

1. I think you have my son. He also lives on black beans and won't eat them with melted cheese. He eats a lot of room-temp or cold beans with cheese on tortillas. If the beans are hot, then no cheese. :rolleyes:

2. Quesadilla maker? I'm trying to wrap my head around this and failing. How is it easier than a pan?

Lol we go through like 3 cans of black beans and 3 of chickpeas a  week. 4yo likes the bk beans best when cheese is melted in, he'll eat "cheesy beans" either plain of preferably with tortilla chips. He only likes chickpeas in falafel or chickpea of the sea though, so I guess only mashed.

Hmm I ate almost a can day when preggers with him :)

My 10 yo boy is a black bean freak too - but he likes quesadillas, but with the minimum amount of cheese possible.  I have asked him to make up a new name since it is not a quesadilla.  He does eat salsa with them.  I go through either a can every other day (one can if two more kids join him) or a lb of dried beans,