Menu

Gift giving as a love language - what does this mean?

Spryte

So, what does it mean if gift giving is your love language?  I know this is based on a book, but I have not read it (nor am I likely to read it, not my type of book).  Anyone want to give me the quick run down?

If a person is the type to give thoughtful gifts and send cards - does that mean that's their love language?  And does it necessarily mean that receiving gifts/cards speaks most to their heart?

It doesn't necessarily mean that it's their love language, but it's a good indicator. If they go more for the cards with thoughtful messages, then it may be more words of affirmation than gifts.

If gift giving is a person's love language, then it means that their natural way of expressing love is to give gifts to people. They feel most loved when they receive a gift--it doesn't have to be expensive, but something that shows that they were thought of. In many cases, the more thoughtful/meaningful the gift is, the more loved they feel, no matter how inexpensive the gift. They may also appreciate other expressions of love--someone doing a chore so they don't have to do it, someone giving a compliment, someone hugging them, or taking them out to dinner--but the thing that makes them feel most loved and appreciated is receiving a gift, even a very small one.

The basic gist of the book is that there are five love languages: gifts, words of affirmation, acts of service, time together and touch. Most people have one or two that mean more to them than others which means that is their love language. It doesn't mean you don't like the others but that to really feel loved/cared for you want the one or two that are most important to you. So for me, gifts and words of affirmation don't mean as much. Mine is time together. 

I think an interesting thing is that often the way you express love is not necessarily the way that you want to receive it. So I don't think you can assume that just because someone gives gifts than it means they want to get them. It's often true, but not always. My Mom is a huge gift-giver. She loves to give stuff and if you try to get her to stop she feels hurt because it's how she shows love. But she doesn't care that much about getting stuff. For her it's all words of affirmation and touch. My dh shows love by acts of service but for him he feels loved by time together. So, if he spends time vaccuming the house I know he's saying he loves me. But if I want to show him love I offer to watch a movie together after the kids go to bed. 

Make sense?