Menu

Asynchronous online classes for middle/high school?

We have found that my dd does best with asynchronous online classes. Are there any really great ones out there we can look into? Already working well for us are:

Veritas Press self-paced history classes

Write @ Home composition classes

Florida Virtual School (OK, we don't love these, but they are free to Florida residents and you can find a good one here and there.)

Have you looked into MOOCs?

Are all MOOCs college level courses? I don't believe she is ready for that level - especially the speed at which college classes run. Even moving at the pace of the student, the amount of information acquired per class would be too much for her at this time and I believe the math and science would just be above her. Are there MOOCs that are considered junior high or even lower level high school classes?

Are all MOOCs college level courses? I don't believe she is ready for that level - especially the speed at which college classes run. Even moving at the pace of the student, the amount of information acquired per class would be too much for her at this time and I believe the math and science would just be above her. Are there MOOCs that are considered junior high or even lower level high school classes?

They are college level, but some college classes can be perfectly adequate for a high schooler.

Sine it's asynchronous, you can completely tailor the pace to your student.

They are college level, but some college classes can be perfectly adequate for a high schooler.

Sine it's asynchronous, you can completely tailor the pace to your student.

Thanks, regentrude. These classes are for my 11 year old. She will only be in 6th next year. But, we will definitely keep MOOCs in mind for a couple of years down the road.