Menu

Help me plan a San Diego trip in December

DesertBlossom

We are thinking about doing something a bit unconventional (for us) for Christmas and going to Sea World.  DH can get most of us into SW for free through the military, so most of the cost is just for the motel, gas and food during the trip.  We still need to do it as cheaply as possible, however. But how is San Diego is December? Is the weather likely to be decent enough? Any tips on finding a good motel? Anything with a military discount is a plus. There are 7 of us, but 5 are little people. I don't think we'll have the time or money to do much else while in CA, but I am open to free or cheap ideas.

I'm excited about it, and I hope our kids will be too. We plan to give them some warning that this Christmas will be different-- as far as them not getting a lot of gifts. I'm just so tired of the "stuff" in our house and we don't need more.  It seems like the majority of their well thought out and carefully planned Christmas gifts are always lost, broken or forgotten about by mid-January.   We may set aside some cash that they can spend at SW or save for later, but we want this trip to be the main gift.

Tips, anyone?

Weather should be fine. Cool on the water, so dress warmly for SeaWorld.

In my experience most hotel and motel chains offer military discounts. Hotel Circle us very near SW, so many options to choose from in a variety of prices. You can also check with lodging on MCAS Miramar and the Naval base(s). They are a little bit further drive (15-20 mins vs. 5) but price difference may be worth the drive.

Some additional destinations that might be of interest: 

We are members of our local science museum, which has reciprocal admission into the San Diego Natural History Museum and the children's science museum (which was across the courtyard). It was completely free.  :001_smile:

Playing at Balboa Park (free!)

We went to the USS Midway Museum. I don't know how old your kiddos are, but my 5 and 9 year olds LOVED it.

We also went to the Maritime Museum of San Diego. For some reason, the day we went was 50% off admission. I'm pretty sure it was a Monday. They also had a harbor tour (on a boat) for $5 per person. It was a crazy good deal. 

Some additional destinations that might be of interest: 

We are members of our local science museum, which has reciprocal admission into the San Diego Natural History Museum and the children's science museum (which was across the courtyard). It was completely free.  :001_smile:

Playing at Balboa Park (free!)

We went to the USS Midway Museum. I don't know how old your kiddos are, but my 5 and 9 year olds LOVED it.

We also went to the Maritime Museum of San Diego. For some reason, the day we went was 50% off admission. I'm pretty sure it was a Monday. They also had a harbor tour (on a boat) for $5 per person. It was a crazy good deal. 

Ooh, I even have a membership to our science museum. I didn't even think to look up the other museums that our pass will get us into. Thank you!