Menu

Dolciani Pre-Algebra or Math Mammoth 7?

My daughter (just turned 10) is sailing through MM6 (revised version). I know that I need to have a pre-algebra on deck to begin using with her sometime in the spring; I'd like to get it sooner rather than later so that I can work through most of it myself. She has done MM since 1B and has developed into a very competent, quick math student with strong mental math skills. Should I just keep on with what we know/love (MM)? Or, move over to Dolciani?

Well, if I were doing this over again, I would continue with MM7. We used AOPS pre-A because MM7 was not available last year. I do have Dolciani, but it's so much easier to do work in a work text like MM. When we first started with AOPS and used quad paper, that required more of a transition than actually figuring out the problems. DD was a bit younger then, so writing and copying problems caused math to take longer than necessary. I would have preferred a work text for Pre-A. It's easier now that she is older.

Also, Maria has done such a great job with her elementary math levels that I would have continued using MM7.

Well, if I were doing this over again, I would continue with MM7. We used AOPS pre-A because MM7 was not available last year. I do have Dolciani, but it's so much easier to do work in a work text like MM. When we first started with AOPS and used quad paper, that required more of a transition than actually figuring out the problems. DD was a bit younger then, so writing and copying problems caused math to take longer than necessary. I would have preferred a work text for Pre-A. It's easier now that she is older.

Also, Maria has done such a great job with her elementary math levels that I would have continued using MM7.

That makes so much sense. I hadn't even considered the fact that MM is a worktext vs. Dolciani being a traditional textbook.

Next year we are planning on using Dolciani on the board (only the ones with answers) and for the explanations. The rest of the time we'll be practicing with MM7. Right now DS is 11 and moving slowly through MM 5B. We're working on one page at the time right now as it's fractions and he needs quite a bit of help. I'm hoping we'll find something we can move faster through so in Spring next year we'll be able to start on MM 6A. So it looks like we'll be starting 7th grade either finishing up 6A or starting 6B. Then we can continue onto MM 7 and Dolciani.

So you could do Dolciani simultaneously with MM7. 

I think that pre-algebra is a good time to introduce students to using a textbook, as will be required more and more of them as they continue their studies.

I also think its good to expose students to multiple styles of teaching and learning math.

I also think Dolciani is an excellent book. I vote to switch.

If we could make MM7 work, we'd do it. I am an ardent believer in--If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

MM is working and working very well for your daughter. I say that you should continue to use it until the series is over.

Workbooks/worktexts make it easier for younger kids to work on their level and at their speed. Also, if she does MM7, then that gives you more time to investigate Algebra options--especially since you plan to work the text ahead of her.

I have not seen MM7 myself, but if you go with MM7 then I highly doubt that you'll need a PreAlgebra course, as we--and many others--have made the transition from MM6 to Algebra. But there are many solid options for PreAlgebra if you want one anyway.

I have not seen MM7 myself, but if you go with MM7 then I highly doubt that you'll need a PreAlgebra course, as we--and many others--have made the transition from MM6 to Algebra. But there are many solid options for PreAlgebra if you want one anyway.

MM7 is pre-algebra (or it will be when it's finished -- only 7a is out but 7b is expected early in 2015).