Menu

I'm not sure my dd will have a highlight item...

or am I just missing it somewhere?   

She is very bright and truly loves learning.  She adores it all so much and excels in almost everything.  Her weakness is foreign language - she doesn't love it and it is the only area where I would call her "average".  Is there a problem with having a child who is strong overall but not necessary amazing at anything?  She tests well, she'll have a high GPA, she mentors a small group of 5th-6th grade girls once a week, she is taking AP courses, she is a strong writer, and she is pretty amazing with art, but hasn't really put much time into because of academics.  Since she isn't leaning toward an art career, it would be inappropriate for her to include art samples in her information packet, correct?  

One of her reasons for cutting back on pre-cal and waiting a year on AP Calculus is to write more and even try for a few writing contests and to be able to work on her art.  Since she has decided not to pursue AP Calculus for 11th grade and save it for 12th instead, does this leave her without a highlight item?   

So what would you do if this was your dd....would you try to encourage her to focus more on one thing or continue to let her have such a huge variety in her life and hope that she will appear to be incredibly well rounded (which she is, by the way) and that she will earn some sort of brownie points based on that.  Amazing scholarships are a must in order for her to go to college, so I do put too much thought into all of this, but for a good reason  :coolgleamA:

I haven't been there done that, but I would encourage you to let her follow HER passions. Ultimately that will make her happier and I think it will make her look better as she can talk about what really interests her.

I do think you should challenger her academically - it sounds like you do.

I don't think you should try to arrange her life to fit a mold that is aimed at scholarships. Who's to say she wouldn't get the same scholarships by perusing a passion of art. I'm not convinced that a single passion or excelling in everything is the road to scholarships. Good grades, solid academics, good test scores are a must, but does someone who pursues one passion over a person that is well-rounded really make such a difference in scholarships - it really depends on the scholarship as well as the evaluator - it could go either way.

Well, she sounds pretty amazing to me. But here is my two cents. She should be herself. She made her decisions about calculus and if asked can answer why. She should do what she loves and not try to conform to the "mold of the scholarship student." She will be happier and that will come through in her essays and interviews.

In terms of scholarships, she should look at schools where she will be a strong candidate. There are good schools and great opportunities everywhere. We had great success with the Colleges That Change Lives list.

If you have more than one "gold star", that's great.  Don't worry about having one star that's even shinier than all the others.

She tests well, she'll have a high GPA,  --> Awesome, even in this age of test prep and grade inflation.  The higher her scores and GPA, the more schools she can apply to where her scores will be in the top 25% of applicants.

she mentors a small group of 5th-6th grade girls once a week,  --> Community service is definitely a "gold star":  Is there a story she can tell in an essay about how this has made a difference to her and/or to one of the girls she has mentored?  Did she form the mentoring group herself, or teach another high schooler how to mentor younger kids? -- then that's leadership experience, too!

she is taking AP courses, --> Definitely shows that she's not a "do the minimum" student.  Obviously, 4's and 5's are best, but taking academic challenges is great no matter the final score.

she is a strong writer, --> Potential gold star here: Can she write for publication (even on a website or church bulletin, don't think only the New York Times counts)?  Or, enter a local writing contest?  Or, join or form a writing group?  Or, tutor?  Lots of kids sit in their rooms and write, it's better if she shares this talent with others.

and she is pretty amazing with art, but hasn't really put much time into because of academics.  Since she isn't leaning toward an art career, it would be inappropriate for her to include art samples in her information packet, correct?  --> Creating college admissions art portfolios is a pain best left to future art majors.  You don't include these in your application, but in an "arts supplement".  Other things she could do with art that would be listed as an EC on her app without doing the art supplement: Design posters for a community event, volunteer at an art museum, enter art contests or an open gallery call at a library or arts center.  Try to go from "I like to sit in my room and make art" to "I like to go out in the community and make/share my art."

For writing, art, or any other interests she has: Could she put in some volunteer hours or go to a class, camp, or program to build these skills the summer before senior year?  Another common way to show a passion is to pursue it outside the school year. 

Don't make this harder than it is.  Colleges want someone who will both do well in classes and add to the campus community.  The test scores and AP's show academic potential and the mentoring shows she cares about her community.  You can add to this even more by moving some of her creative pursuits out of the home just a little.  But, what you have is a great, great start.

Totally agreeing with previous posters. :)

First, I can't imagine the colleges are going to care whether the AP Calculus was in 11th or 12th grade.

Second, putting all your eggs in the basket of single-focused academics is NO guarantee of anything except possibly a lot of self-induced stress. More frequently, I'm hearing that colleges want *interesting* and *diverse* students, rather than ones who single-mindedly pursued academics. Colleges want students who have experiences that will make them a good fit with their school, and who have experiences that will help the student succeed at the school. (Failures and drop-outs don't look good on the colleges. ;) ) The only way your student is going to get those experiences is by planning for them and scheduling them.

So what would you do if this was your dd....

… Amazing scholarships are a must in order for her to go to college...

Okay, since you asked for opinions ;) Just what *I would do for the last 2 years of high school:

1. Encourage DD to use the remaining year(s) of high school to try a variety of things.

Help her see where her passions, interests lie (rather than focus SO heavily on grades that she misses possible opportunities of self discovery and the last chance to try things without a lot of strings attached). Get involved in some great extracurriculars that will build life-long skills: responsibility, leadership, public speaking, make friendships, networking and make connections through volunteering, etc. This also allows her to possibly develop interests and hobbies that will be a part of her whole life -- as a parent that's what we're trying to help our students reach, is success for LIFE, not just for the few short years of college admission and scholarships.

2. Do some research about merit aid and financial aid.

(Some GREAT information in the links threads in post #5 of the pinned thread at the top of the high school board: "Transcripts…. Scholarships/Financial Aid… links to past threads here!")

3. Start exploring college profiles and financial aid and "out of the box" ideas for college.

(see below). Do it as an exciting enjoyable joint activity, NOT as a panic thing. ;)

4. Invest in a good SAT/ACT prep course or tutor, knock out a stellar score, and be done with testing.

5. Relax a little.

While a few students know what they want to do at this age, most do not; in fact, the majority of students change their major (radically!) once in college

DD will have NO trouble being admitted to most colleges with her academic record. :) As for "amazing scholarships"… Well, wonderful if you can get those, but "full rides" are very few and far between. The "amazing scholarships" can come from several different "tracks":

- a student brilliant in the area s/he will be studying

- high academics coupled with extreme financial need

- high PSAT score in 11th grade (and being selected as a NMS Finalist -- see p. 19-20 of the PSAT guide for the list of colleges that award scholarships) 

- a student who is exceptionally outstanding in an extracurricular program/activity that awards scholarships (examples: sports)

I'm sure your DD will land merit aid, but I'd be working on a plan "B" and plan "C" for covering the costs that the scholarships will not cover. Since finances are a big consideration, I'd be looking at some "outside the box" things, too:

- consider applying to Harvard, Princeton or Yale
(these colleges are so heavily endowed they can offer a sliding tuition scale; example: family makes less than $60,000/year = $0 tuition)

- be a "big fish in a small pond student to land top merit aid
(check out school profiles and apply to schools of a slightly lower caliber, where DD's SAT/ACT scores put her in the top 5% for that school)

- consider attending a tuition free college

- work for tuition: Work Colleges Consortium

- tuition reimbursement program
(example: if DD is headed towards a STEM field, a SMART scholarship awards money, and after graduation you work for the US military as a civilian researcher for several years in exchange)

- consider College Plus or a DIY version
(bachelor's degree at home via CLEPs and online courses for a degree costing about $13,000-$15,000 total -- vs. $40,000+ for a live-at-home and go to the local university, or $80,000+ for going away to college)

- college exchange program
(pay the tuition of in-state school, but attend a college elsewhere

ISEP = 300 schools in 50 countries

NSE = 200 schools in North/Eastern U.S., Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico

MHEC = 100 schools in 9 Midwestern states

WUE and WICHE = 200 schools in 16 Western U.S. states)

- study abroad scholarships
Sometimes it is actually cheaper to study abroad, especially if your student lands a lesser-known or lesser-applied-for scholarship. Study Abroad scholarship list; International Scholarships.

Check out these two threads for more ideas:
- …A Brainstorming $$ Ideas Thread! (ideas for alternatives for financing college)

BEST of luck as, and ENJOY the last 2 years of your homeschool journey with DD! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.