Menu

Rod and Staff or FLL/WWE combo?

TyraTooters

I think I've narrowed it down to Rod and Staff and First Language Lessons/Writing With Ease. I thought I might like ELTL but I'm just not sure. We aren't super classical and I'm unsure if my children would enjoy the books and what not. Anyhow, we are coming off of Abeka first grade so I think I would be able to easily transition right into the second grade levels for both of these. If you've used either or both of these, could you weigh in and share your thoughts? My boys (and I and the two year old!) like lessons that are short & sweet and only having to add extra this and that and games when we want/need to. So, what say you?

I have used both - WWE / FLL for 1st/2nd and in third grade I started Rod and Staff. I really like Rod and Staff. I liked FLL more than WWE. My ds didn't gain much from WWE it seemed. He is delayed in his reading though but liked copywork (even if he couldn't read it.) R&S is actually teaching him more how to write the way it is written compared to WWE. It is the easiest open and go curriculum I have, and his favorite. Some parts you can do orally (like finding the nouns in a sentence) so your child doesn't have to write everything down if writing is a little difficult for them. There is plenty of review. We started the 2nd grade books even though ds is in 3rd grade and it's a perfect fit. I think it's even helped him read better. It depends on your child's learning style as well. If writing and reading comes easier, WWE would work. I like the step by step progress of R&S. Hope that helps! Choosing curriculum is hard.

In addition to comprehensive writing and grammar, R&S's English series covers oral communication and using reference materials. The writing includes word usage such as metaphors, similes, personification; archaic and figurative language; etymologies, heteronyms, homographs, hyperbole, inflections, and introductory; derivatives, imagery, onomatopoeia, and repetitious; cliches, foreign, idioms; and a good variety of writing types--character sketches, poetry, apologies, persuasive arguments, and more.