Menu

The ABC's and All Their Tricks or Uncovering the Logic of English

Wind-in-my-hair

Question on books that make a handy reference for teaching:

If you have used either of these books, please share your review of the content with me so I might make up my mind which to get. Which one is more useful in building a phonics program around? We will be incorporating alot of word-building with Unifix phonics cubes and practicing out of emergent and decodable readers, but I want to make sure we are mastering one concept before moving on to the next.

Thanks in advance.  :laugh:

No experience with Uncovering the Logic of English, so I can't help there.

You may want to check out All About Spelling or Spaulding, which both focus on solid phonics understanding and use hands-on manipulatives such as your unifix cubes (esp. All About Spelling). Ellie on this board is a Spaulding consultant, so she could give you more info on that program.

If you want to DIY for the early elementary grades, I found the word lists in Natural Speller to be helpful for creating spelling lists.

The ABCs and All Their Tricks is a handy reference book, but not the easiest resource to adapt into a DIY spelling program. Especially for a young student also just learning to read, I would strongly recommend going with a program designed for that purpose. The ABCs… works better as a resource for DIY spelling with late elementary/middle school grades. JMO!

We used The ABCs... for creating individualized spelling (combining it with vocabulary) for our 2 DSs in middle school/high school. DS#2 is a very VS-learner and has mild LDs with spelling, writing, and abstract math, so we had to pull from a LOT of resources to find what worked for him.

WTM Boardee Karenciavo made worksheets to go with The ABCs…, but it doesn't look like the samples she posted there are still available to view.

Below is how we used The ABCs… with older students, in case it helps. BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Starting when DSs were in middle school grades, I moved through The ABCs... mostly in order. I picked a vowel pattern -- for example, long a sound that is spelled with "ei", as in the word "weigh". Then I make out a spelling list of about 20 words:

- words to practice this pattern
- homophones (sound alike, but spelled differently, such as "weigh" and "whey" and "way")
- root words using the pattern, with prefixes/endings to practice spelling by syllables and any potential spelling changes (ex: "neigh", "neighbor", "unneighborly", "neighborhood")
- words using this pattern that also would practice vocabulary (ex: "inveigle" and "heinous")

To practice the words, we did a variety of things:

Out Loud
(based on ideas from Andrew Pudewa's lecture, "Spelling and the Brain", the Phonetic Zoo program, and Carol Barnier's "Toss It" idea from How to Get Your Kid Off the Refrigerator and onto Learning)
The practicing spelling words in sequential order helps strengthen that very weak area of sequential, ordered thinking through having him HEAR the order, one letter at a time by spelling out loud to him, and then having him spell out loud back to me.

You clearly say the word aloud, spell it (syllable by syllable if that helps), and toss the child a beanie toy; then the student says the word/spells it correctly, and tosses the beanie back. The beanie toss helps keep him focused and mentally prepared. *Immediately* stop and correct any misspelling by spelling it aloud correctly several times and have the student spell it correctly by looking at it and reading it letter by letter several times. Hearing the letters in correct sequential order really helps cement correct spelling in the mind.

Practice on Whiteboard
(based on ideas about syllable break-down and smaller words within larger words in Sequential Spelling, and the mnemonics ideas Stevenson Blue Spelling Manual)

- helps child actual visualize spelling patterns
- reinforce vowel patterns, syllabication patterns, etc.
- write out root words and practice adding endings, prefixes, etc. -- tell it and draw it as a story with character pictures (ex.: "hope" -- the vowels at the end of the word like to fight with vowels at the beginning of an ending (like "-ing", or "-ed"), so you have to drop the "-e" at the end of "hope" and then add the endings such as "-er" or "-ing"; adding endings such as "-ful" or "-less", or prefixes such as "-un" are not a problem, because they start with a consonant, and consonants don't fight with the vowel at the end of the word)
- work with homophones -- see the different spellings, and draw a picture or tell a little story to help the difference stick (ex: "meet" and "meat"; it takes 2 people to "meet" and there are 2 "e"s in "meet"; draw the letter "a" to look like a heart and say "I love to eat "meat" -- and see, the word "eat" is IN the word "meat"; etc.)

Dictation
(based on ideas from Stevenson Blue Spelling, WTM, etc.)
Dictate 5 short sentences, each with 2-3 spelling words in them, to practice simultaneously thinking/writing/spelling.

Writing
(some based on ideas from Megawords)
Worksheets, practicing adding prefixes/endings; breaking words into syllables; write the words in "ABC order"; list the words in the correct column, with column headings based on vowel patterns, or how many syllables in the word; etc.; give him a clue (like a crossword clue) and have him fill in the blanks (one per letter in the word) with the correct spelling word; start with a root word or base syllable and adding prefixes, endings, additional syllables, etc., to see how to "build up" words; etc.

I do not know how old your child is.  I have both but would not recommend either for a young child.  I am currently teaching my 3rd child.  I am using a combo of readingbear.org, readingeggs.com and various beginner readers (Bob books, all about reading readers, others).  I have not used an official curriculum with her yet because I feel she is too young for formal sit down instruction.  When she is ready, I think I will use aas & aar.

ABCs I would say is a reference tool...lists spelling rules followed by a list of words.  I bought it in the hopes of using it for making my own spelling curriculum but have not really found a use for it.

I own a lot of phonics instructional programs...not one is a dream come true;p

Boring but has be effective-Phonics Pathways (kids did not enjoy this one but it got my 1st born reading).  OPGTR I feel is thorough but was boring for my kids (not quite as boring as phonics pathways).

Fun but expensive-The kids and I enjoy the aas & aar programs.  Easy to implement (we do not use the tiles, cards with either program).  I do not like the price tag nor the fact that I have to go through so many levels.  If it came all in one book I would be in love.  I have only used levels 1&2 of both programs.

I bought LOE Essentials...nice instruction but again boring for my kids. 

Hope you come up with something that will work for your family.:)

Question on books that make a handy reference for teaching:

If you have used either of these books, please share your review of the content with me so I might make up my mind which to get. Which one is more useful in building a phonics program around? We will be incorporating alot of word-building with Unifix phonics cubes and practicing out of emergent and decodable readers, but I want to make sure we are mastering one concept before moving on to the next.

Thanks in advance.  :laugh:

If I were thrown on a desert island with a CHILD and my only choices were one of these books, I would choose ABC. If I were stuck on a desert island and wanted to SELF-EDUCATE about phonics, I'd want ULOE.

Phonics is a HOBBY of mine. I have learned that TEACHING and SELF-EDUCATION about the topic overlap, but that I shouldn't inflict what I find interesting on innocent beginners.

Phonics is a HOBBY of mine. I have learned that TEACHING and SELF-EDUCATION about the topic overlap, but that I shouldn't inflict what I find interesting on innocent beginners.

You described me. I knew something was wrong with me about my phonics obsession! (and trying not to torture my children... while I insist the curriculum I want doesn't exist!) :001_rolleyes: I need to learn from you.

Thanks for the PP comments as well. Informative.