Menu

Human Odyssey and Kingfisher Plan?

Bueller?  Bueller?

Okay, I need some help here.  DS is really enjoying my makeshift US History course this year.  In fact, history has become one of his favorite subjects.  So now I'm trying to keep that up in my plan for world history for next year (which I think will end up being a 2-year plan).  What he likes is the variety of reading materials in combination with DVDs and fun stuff like the You Wouldn't Want to Be.... series. 

So, I'm trying to plan something similar for next year.  I have the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of World History, Human Odyssey Vol 2 and 3 (K12), the Cartoon History of the Universe, and I'm thinking about getting the Horrible Histories box set for fun.  What I don't know how to do is combine Kingfisher and Human Odyssey.  And I also have no clue about throwing in some DVDs (Netflix), maybe short things on YouTube.  Help?  Please?  Bueller?

We use History Odyssey, which uses Kingfisher and Story of Mankind, but DD didn't like SoM, so I got her Human Odyssey instead. That she likes okay. I can give you what I have so far. I'll go get her binder in a bit.

I would absolutely LOVE that if you could share.  I really don't want to have to buy more history stuff.  I have so much already.  But coordinating all of this is going to take me forever, so  was really hoping someone would already have it.  Thank you!!!

I have only done world history for ancients, as that is all my Ds seems to care about. For movies I have gone with Khan short video clips, Crash Course world history (YouTube) along with the viewing guides (Google), and the "Adventures in _____" series through Penn State (YouTube). These are paired with audiobooks of classic literature (YouTube) and actual books to read, along with The Great Courses from the Teaching Company. We use Gardeners Art Through the Ages as a spine so I cannot be of any help there.

I have only done world history for ancients, as that is all my Ds seems to care about. For movies I have gone with Khan short video clips, Crash Course world history (YouTube) along with the viewing guides (Google), and the "Adventures in _____" series through Penn State (YouTube). These are paired with audiobooks of classic literature (YouTube) and actual books to read, along with The Great Courses from the Teaching Company. We use Gardeners Art Through the Ages as a spine so I cannot be of any help there.

Can you give the link to the two bolded items? Thank you!

I am on my iPad, but I will try.

Here are the Crash Course fill in guides. As much as fill in the blank is one of my least favorite study activities, the Crash Courses go so fast and are so dense that I have found the fill in the blanks require my son to watch them a couple of times and *really* listen. It works well. I have only found a couple typos on these, and most of them just direct copy and paste to Word without issue if you want to do a quick reformat.

https://sites.google.com/a/bisdmail.net/elk-world-history/assignments/crashcoursefillintheblanknotes

Here is the Great Voyages. Sorry I got the title wrong. Luckily Ds remembered it. He really likes these! We often read the literature and then the lecture goes into the history and elaborates with visuals, maps, writing, all sorts of great stuff. They frequently upload more, so check with the Penn Museum. Lots of good videos with them up on YouTube for various things.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsnLPcXMHBKPGuJx7zicdX1RTDwe4z9lp

Penn Museum also does Great Riddles in Archeology which are quite fun. These are really going more into various mythology and discussing whether it could have happened based on the archeological record. So, kind of history-ish, but not exactly. Things like King Arthur, Merlin, Ark of the Covenant, Él Dorado, Atlantis, that sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2888D763A51AD12B

We do these more for fun than really history, but sometimes we call it history :)

Okay, I finally got back to this thread with DD's History Odyssey binder in hand. It's not much, but this is what I've marked out so far. All of these are the newest Kingfisher History, the purple one, and volume 3 of Human Odyssey. Also, there is a lot of Kingfisher that didn't seem to have an obvious correlation in Human Odyssey, although maybe the events are mentioned in passing. I didn't look at it all that thoroughly; I mostly just looked at the section headings in History Odyssey and the chapter titles in Story of Mankind and then looked through the chapter headings in Human Odyssey to find the ones that matched up pretty well.

Industrial Revolution

KFH 296-297, 327, 340-341; Human Odyssey chapter 3-7 (that's the third big section, seventh chapter in that section)

American Revolution

KFH 316-317; HO chapter 3-1

End of Slavery? (This is the topic title given by History Odyssey)

KFH 308-309;322-323; HO chapter 3-10

French Revolution

KFH 318-319; HO chapter 3-2

Napoleon

KFH 320-321; HO chapter 3-3

Nationalism and Revolution in Europe

KFH 346-347; HO chapter 4-1

Scramble for Africa

KFH 362-363; HO chapter 4-4

Hope this helps even a small amount!