Menu

Online Writing Group for 10 year olds?

Writerdaddy

Hi there,

I was wondering if there were any websites with writing instruction or something where kids share their writing "publicly" and perhaps also get feedback from teachers or each other. my kids would respond well to that.

I signed up for bravewriter online but there is nothing for kids there at this age-- the online course is for parents as a little extra support in carrying out the exercises. Apparently there is one occasional course for kids 10-14 where there is some sharing but I am looking for something more dedicated to the concept.

If there isn't something I may create it, but surely there are great online writing courses for kids where they can share their work and feel invested in what they are doing?

My kids are on biblionasium which has them logging in their reading "publicly" and that's going well.

Thanks for the pointers!

Alan

That sounds like a fun idea... especially if it's coming from a Brave Writer, supportive, helping build up writers sort of approach. Maybe through a closed Yahoo group or a closed FB group or something? My 10 yos would enjoy that, I think. Or, one of them would anyway...

I was thinking there must be something like that out there already, and I would be eager to have my kids join it. I looked at IEW online sample recordings from their online classes but it's not what I am looking for. I have some background in making online groups (for professional writers) but surely there is already something out there for kids?

I think something somewhat in the ballpark of or aligned with a Bravewriter approach is the only thing appropriate for this kind of thing since it's really just about kids having an incentive to write and caring about their writing. If you fill that up with too many specific agendas it will cut the juice, so to speak.

But before re-inventing the wheel, please tell me anyone if you know of any kids writing workshops and groups online-- I would appreciate it! 

You know, where there is some attention to user experience, and dedication that comes with it being run by a business, and also, I have to sheepishly admit, if I paid for it that would make me follow through with it, becaue I don't want to waste money.

(yes, I am a recovering curriculum addict, and this post is potentially a resurfacing that, but this time I can control it. I promise)

Well, you might try Currclick...

I know that Landry Academy has writing classes on-line for kids at the 4th grade level and above.  I don't think they have any that start mid-year but you could check.  Spring courses would be full price and are expensive.  Unfortunately, the really big sale for next year is over but there are still some discounts for next year to be had.

Maybe Athena Academy?  Never used that one but I have heard good things.  I just don't know if they offer straight writing programs.

Is there a local homeschooling group that might offer this or that you could use to start something like this?  Maybe several parents pitching in to help out so it isn't all on one person?

Yeah Nanowrimo is great-- their feedback threads are awesome, or at least they were for me when I did it as an adult.

A 14 year old would have a great experience too if they are advanced or enthusiastic enough.

Maybe I'll start something myself-- I don't think it would be too hard to find enough people to take part. I know a bunch myself already. And, I already do a similar thing with professional writers, some of the tactics I've borrowed from nanowrimo forums, actually.

I found lots of great workshops and businesses for kids writing but they all seem to focus locally, and all far away from where I live.

My kids would actually love something online, like youtube or Facebook, but for writers (well-- the "for writers" part might be coming from me).