Menu

Lessons Learned

Teachin'Mine

??? I wasn't making a personal comment one way or the other. I simply shared that I had read about several similar situations on CC.

Fwiw, I know exactly how FM feels BC of not knowing something. Our oldest missed out on a 4 yr university scholarship bc the university required the FAFSA to be filled out even for merit only scholarships. We knew he wouldn't qualify for any aid, so we didn't fill it out. We didn't realize our mistake until too late.

And I was sharing my experience that even with searching for the specific situation she encountered with all four years of scholarship/aid being reduced due to the one year outside scholarship, I couldn't find anything.   I'm not saying it's not there, I'm just saying it's likely a very uncommon situation and not one that most, even those who research things well, would know about.  Very common for a one year outside scholarship to reduce the scholarship or grant for the first year, and others like your son are fortunate to be able to stack scholarships.

The situation with your oldest must have been so frustrating.  Hopefully others will read about your experience, which I know you've shared before to help others, and file the FAFSA to avoid missing out on scholarships.

A couple of more things came to mind - particular to dd's school but be aware these types of problems happen all over.

1.)  Check with departments on dates of scholarship awards and if they do not appear when you expect them, follow up. A clerical error resulted in dd accidentally getting put into the system as a senior, not an incoming freshman. Seniors are not awarded freshman scholarships so she was eliminated from the applicant pool. We followed up, and the situation was resolved - but if we had waited any longer the funds may have dried up.

2.) When going in to register at freshman orientation, either be prepared to take a math placement test then and there, or get it done beforehand. Probably better to do it ahead of time when the student is not so frazzled from orientation.

3.) Science majors often have classes reserved for them before they get to orientation - but you need to have selected a major on your paperwork. At dd's school, pre-med is not considered a "major" so she had to quickly declare a biology major in order to get into her classes, which were already quite full. Her advisors pulled some strings to get her into those first classes.

I hope you find an affordable solution. Storage unit? Maybe your dc can share a unit w/ friends?

It is not uncommon for schools to have camps during the summers, so kids are staying in the dorms, so I can see why they would need some rooms cleared out.

I think most people expect students to clear out over the summer. But it would be frustrating to have to actually clear the room at Christmas break.

But then I'm still in shock that dorms get closed up over break periods. I remember spending all of spring break living in my room because crew was practicing over the break. I had no idea that wasn't normal.

* For music students -- do sample lessons and participate in summer programs to get your name out and get known by music faculty. Some music faculty members have almost chosen their students BEFORE the audition so the audition is merely a box-checking exercise. (When you leave the audition and a faculty member says he enjoyed working with you over the summer and he hopes to see you next fall.....)

* Check out the general education requirements. They differ WIDELY from school to school. For liberal arts folks the differences may make less of an impact, but for STEM or for music/arts students, the gen ed requirements will hugely influence the type of classes a student must take before graduating. (4 semesters of a foreign language versus 2, 2 history plus 2 politics plus 1 philosophy versus 2 "culture" classes, etc.)

* Spend some time getting to know current students -- stay overnight if possible, but at least spend some time on campus and talk to current students other than the tour guides. Check out the student newspaper and the bulletin boards. Really LOOK at the students -- are they all texting or are they smiling or are they depressed? You will be living with these folks 24/7, and different campuses really do have different cultures.

I will just say what I said before. Do not trust a school based on verbal promises. Be nice, but wait until you have in hand, a financial aid package. So, even if their website says a scholarship is automatic with XY and Z..don't trust it until you have it. Texas A&M screwed my daughter over big time. And we lost money over it too.

Like here..it says you get the top 10% scholarship and it is talked about like it is automatic. They tell you verbally it is automatic. But it is not. It is selective and they won't release their criteria.   https://scholarships.tamu.edu/FRESHMEN/Available-Scholarships#2-Top10%25ScholarshipProgram