Menu

DD wants to major in Theatre

I have a question about helping a child get into a performing arts program.

My dd is a junior this year and would like to major in Theatre.  I'm all for it but also wondering if she's at the level to be accepted into a university-level program - do students have to be fairly proficient when they arrive as Freshmen or do they look at potential? 

She's done a number of short workshops/summer camps in elementary and middle school and took Honors Drama in 10th grade as well as Theatre Tech.  "A" in both classes but I would imagine that's based more on effort than performance level. She didn't perform in the school play last year but did help with the technical aspects.  We're homeschooling for her last 2 years of high school, so she no longer has access to the school's performing arts program (or the school play).  My personal opinion is that she has potential but needs more formal training.

What is the best way to proceed and how intensely does she need to work on this before going to college?  She's looking at UNC-Chapel Hill and Appalachian State as her top choices.

Thanks!

Michelle

It completely depends on the school. I have known incredibly talented people to be turned away from very competitive programs, and have also been shocked at some people who have been accepted into theatre or dance programs.

It doesn't look like UNC has an audition for Dramatic Arts? FInd out what is required in the auditions, and go from there.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would start looking into community theater for her. There are far more opportunities locally for kids to be involved in community theater than there are school plays. Here, homeschoolers get many of those roles. Just because she isn't in public school anymore, doesn't mean her opportunities to act go away. 

Possibilities: Little Theater, Stained Glass Theater (Christian), other community theater groups - hit the web and start searching.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would start looking into community theater for her.

This.  If she's not doing school plays, she will need to show a passion for theatre in some other way.  Not doing any theatre-related extracurriculars at all in junior and senior years (actor, behind-the-scenes, volunteer, etc.), will definitely look bad on her application.

Have you looked into community theaters?  My dd is active in both community theaters in our town as well as the community theater two towns over. She auditions at one, takes classes at another and is a volunteer usher at the third. All three theaters love having high school age students interested in theater. She will also dual enroll at our local CC as a junior and take theater classes there. Are any of these options available where you live?