Menu

2nd grade reading program?

3girls4me

Does anyone have any suggestions for reading program for second grade that is not heavy on phonics? We will definitely be reading whole books together, but my daughter actually likes doing a reading program. We currently use CLE, but it is so phonics-based, I think we need something different.

Thanks!!

I love CLE for grade 3 and up. Before then, it's very very phonics heavy.

For grade 2 we just read. A lot. Sunlight readers, Honey for a Child's Heart lists, 1000 great books lists, "Read and Find Out About" science books.... I assigned reading, and we read together. We had quiet time every afternoon (for my sanity) and the rule was Book or Bed. They could read or nap. They read. A ton.

Blackbird & Company has literature guides for that age. They are strictly about reading the story, not phonics. The earlybird guides include vocabulary, short answer, discussion questions, drawing the characters from the story, and original writing. The level 1 guides include more writing and less drawing. I have used almost all of the earlybird guides with my youngest, and we are taking a break from them right now until I think he is ready for the level 1 guides. They have been his absolute favorite school-related thing.

I think BJU 3 and then CLE 3 will be fine. There may be some overlap of concepts but all the stories will be different and the style of the programs is different enough (BJU is much cuter, colorful, thematic etc...) They are both wkbk based though - Good thing about BJU is you can get the booklinks which are novels w studyguides that are scheduled into the regular program (though they are optional.) 

BraveWriter The Wand. It does have some limited phonics teaching every week, but mainly for spelling, as well as copybook and dictation, and the books she recommends are fabulous. It is teacher intensive and not workbooky. We really enjoyed the program, though it did not have enough practice for dd. It certainly would have been ample for my older child.

CLE does become much less phonics based (actually I don't remember seeing any) in 3rd. If you want less phonics for 2nd, though, look at the Memoria Press Lit Guides. They have some really good titles for 2nd grade, including a few of Beatrix Potter's books, Little House In the Big Woods, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and The Courage of Sarah Noble.

Seconding MP lit guides - though I think the OP wants a "program" In addition to the 2nd grade ones, the 1st grade MP Storytime treasures guides are fantastic (in some ways better than the later ones - esp. if you have a young but advanced reader/writer.)