Menu

Ending SM 4b..Ds placing in saxon 7/6?

grantmeawish

My Ds is 9 and in 4th. We are moving to saxon in January because that is what a hs academy will use for 5th. He hasn't taken the placement test yet, but from looking at it, I think he will place in 7/6. This seems too far ahead for me. This would put him in algebra in 6/7th grade. I am not looking to rush ahead. He is bright but not a math whiz. Is this just the way saxon is? Maybe I should start him in saxon 6/5 for the last half of 4th and 7/6 for 5th? Any ideas?

My Ds is 9 and in 4th. We are moving to saxon in January because that is what a hs academy will use for 5th. He hasn't taken the placement test yet, but from looking at it, I think he will place in 7/6. This seems too far ahead for me. This would put him in algebra in 6/7th grade. I am not looking to rush ahead. He is bright but not a math whiz. Is this just the way saxon is? Maybe I should start him in saxon 6/5 for the last half of 4th and 7/6 for 5th? Any ideas?

You should start him wherever he places on the test. :-)

Which "hs academy" are you referring to?

Are you planning on having him work through a level in spring/summer or work through a level in half a year? I would actively avoid having him halfway through a Saxon book when he starts a class. If he's jumping from halfway through 6/5 to 7/6 it'll probably be too difficult, and if he's halfway through the book and they start at the beginning it'll be much too boring. 

My son went into 8/7 in 5th grade.  He had used a variety of RS, Singapore, and Saxon intermediate in school when he was in school.  I'm having him do 1/2 a lesson a day (Power Up, Mental Math, Read Lesson, Practice Problems on day 1 and Problem set on day 2).  Even with 1/2 a lesson a day, he'll probably finish it before next school year, because I will do math year round.  Since he is so far ahead, I will likely not skip Alg. 1/2.  If he were older I wouldn't do both 8/7 and Alg. 1/2.  

HTH

The normal scope for strong students would be 7/6, algebra 1/2, then algebra 1. I think 8/7 is frequently skipped if 7/6 went well, but I haven't heard of skipping both 8/7 and algebra 1/2.

I'd place as tested.

The sequence for current editions of Saxon math is 54, 65, 76, 87, Alg. 1, *if* the student completes 76 with at least an 80% average. If less than that, it's 76, Alg. 1/2, Alg. 1.

The sequence you list is that of the earliest editions.