Menu

An explanatory model of the malodorous nature of academic writing

Great article! and he is an excellent writer.  Good sales pitch for his new book on writing . . .  ;)

Cynic! :tongue_smilie:

(Of course, if it were really cheap and qualified for Amazon Prime, I might consider it...'Cuz it's not like I have very many books or anything.  And now maybe I ought to, I don't know, teach my child, or something.  Hmm, I'm thinking it's really Monday around here. :thumbdown: )

Great article! and he is an excellent writer.  Good sales pitch for his new book on writing . . .  ;)

His publicist has done their work. He's EVERYWHERE the past couple weeks :D

I like Pinker though & the new book sounds good. There's a free booklet avail for download avail through The Chronicle ....

http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Academics-Stink-at/149105?cid=inline-promo

btw, if anyone wants a gentle but intriguing intro to Pinker, he appears in the (old now) DVD Me & Isaac Newton. It's a really neat dvd about scientists....

I left my job as a science writer and statistician 5 years ago to homeschool DS. Much of this piece is correct, although I'm not sure I can read it objectively yet! I was very lucky to work with an outstanding science writer. Her mantra was that our writing should be understandable for a 12 year old. Publishers and granting bodies are generalists. If you can't explain your work in understandable terms, you don't deserve their money. Unfortunately in science, the prevaling opinion seemed to be that the more complex you made your work sound, the cleverer you were. It took me years to realise that the real art was making difficult concepts appear easy, not the other way around.

D