Menu

2 Gringos check into hotel of Colombian National Police club on same day

Lanny

Each of us had to sign a guest registry book when we checked in. To my amazement, a man from Florida had checked in a little earlier. We are guests of a member. Incredibly inexpensive and near what we need to do on this trip. DD and I spent 4 hours in the interactive Molaka science museum today. When she was very young, my wife was a member of an elite police unit but at that time they did not permit single mothers. She is here for a 32 year reunion of her class. Very safe here, with a lot of police...  They have an 8 lane bowling alley and DD bowled for the first time.

Each of us had to sign a guest registry book when we checked in. To my amazement, a man from Florida had checked in a little earlier. We are guests of a member. Incredibly inexpensive and near what we need to do on this trip. DD and I spent 4 hours in the interactive Molaka science museum today. When she was very young, my wife was a member of an elite police unit but at that time they did not permit single mothers. She is here for a 32 year reunion of her class. Very safe here, with a lot of police... They have an 8 lane bowling alley and DD bowled for the first time.

Exciting adventure!

Home sweet home...  The club hotel was great and about USD $21 each night or about USD $100 per night less than we paid in a Bogota hotel last December. My wife had an impromtu meeting with some of them last December, the night we arrived, but this was a planned event. We were invited to stay in the hotel by a club member who arranged for us to stay there.  My wife truly enjoyed the reunion and DD and I were invited to a Dinner, because it was DDs 14th birthday. They were in the 5th course for female officers. Most of them have 2 or 3 kids and a few are Grandmothers.  One thing the club has is an 8 lane bowling alley and DD was able to bowl for the first time in her life. As we were walking to the entrance of the bowling alley I took a quick look at the rules and pointed out to DD that the minimum age is 14. That was her 14th birthday and she was quite happy to be qualified.  The hotel has some strange rules (no food or drinks in the rooms, no guns, etc) but nothing any law abiding guest would find objectionable. We live where it is about 3000 above sea level. Bogota is about 8600 feet ASL. Probably I walked about 10 or 12 miles. The Maloka musuem was great. We went to the Planetarium with my wife (she is an amateur astronomer) yesterday and then walked to the Museum of Gold, which apparently is always closed on Mondays. The latest TripAdvisor poll includes it in the worlds top 25 museums.  The $ my wife did not spend for gifts in a shoe store in a mall yesterday she spent in an airport gift shop where everything is priced in U. S. Dollars, which I think is illegal in Colombia. T shirts, etc. for gifts.  I bought the mug with the words on my shirt in the photo in my posts, which I plan to use every morning for my coffee. Oh the restaurant in the club only has coffee with milk for Breakfast . We had to ask them for Black coffee which is called tinto in Colombia.  The actual flying time is about 35 minutes.  We went on LAN Colombia again. Very good and we bought our tickets 9 weeks ahead and each paid about USD $70 round trip.  Compared to the hotel we stayed in last December we would give this hotel room a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10.  Look at the price difference...    Security my wife said about 200/10 so it is probably one of the safest hotels in the world. The club with all the  things they have on site a 20/10.  My wife had been in an elite unit (Graphologist) but she got pregnant with my stepson and that was shortly before they allowed single mothers and she had to resign...  In the airport gift shop this morning my wife started talking with a family from Argentina. They were enroute to Punta Cana. It had something to do with my favorite singer who lives in the Dominican Republic and my wife called me over. We spoke with them for about 1 hour and gave them our emails. That was an accident but also a great memory of the trip.  If you come to Colombia everything in our airports and aircraft is in Spanish and in English.