Menu

Ringing in ears ?

sbgrace

I have ringing in my ears. When it happens, hearing dulls at the same time. The ringing seems to be quite temporary (seconds/minutes).  The hearing comes back too, though more gradually and well after the ringing stops.

It just happened again about 10 minutes ago. I still can't hear clearly out of the left ear. I know it affects that ear, but it's possible it's in both. It's hard to tell.

I'd say I experience ringing several times a week at least. Maybe I should keep track. I do have occasional mild and transient vertigo, but not at the same time as the ringing occurs and less often.

What could cause it? I have mild, untreated low functioning thyroid. It's not low enough for my doctor to refer/treat. Could that be the cause?

Should I see someone about this? Who? It's a bit startling the moment it happens, but not life interfering for me.

I've had the same symptoms, my doctor said it could be Meniere's disease. He said there was no test for it, so its hard to know for sure.

However, there is a test for B12 deficiency.  I would ask the doctor to test that, along with ferritin and folate levels. 

http://www.webmd.boots.com/healthy-eating/guide/vitamin-b12-deficiency

Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency

Anaemia and anaemia caused by a lack of vitamin B12 can result in symptoms which include:

• Extreme tiredness or fatigue
  • A lack of energy or lethargy
  • Being out of breath
  • Feeling faint
  • Headache
  • Ringing in the ears ( tinnitus)
  • Lack of appetite

More specific symptoms linked to a lack of vitamin B12 include:

• Yellowing of the skin
  • Sore, red tongue
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Changes or loss of some sense of touch